• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goex Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure anybody has any of the old Goex. I buy from Graf's and they don't have any Goex left. I know when they sell it again it will be the new one.

Other than that. I don't know how to tell by looking at the bottle.

Anyone that can full clean in 5 to 7 minutes isn't doing a very good job.

This took longer than that to properly clean.
I don't disassemble the lock every time I clean a gun.
Sometimes I take out several guns to shoot.
I would be hours tearing the locks down & reassembling them.
I clean them with water, soap & a toothbrush.
Dry it well.
Oil the lock & put it back on the gun.
That's worked well for me over a decade now.

It’s the same parent company. I’m pretty sure Swiss is produced at its own location

The website for swiss tells this story

Black powder has been produced in Switzerland since the Middle Ages. Initially by farmers, who operated the powder mills as a sideline to agriculture. The initially very poor quality led to the fact that many of the first powder mills were destroyed by explosions. In 1852, the 5 remaining powder mills were put under state control. In 1894, all Swiss powder mills were closed - except for Aubonne and initially Chur, which also had to be closed in 1976 due to the increasingly dense population. In the 1990s, the Poudrerie d'Aubonne was seriously threatened with closure due to economic difficulties. A joint takeover by the canton of Vaud and a private entrepreneur in 1996 saved its continued existence.

Wano's site simply states privately owned.

I can't find any indication that they are under the same ownership.

I bought 25 pounds of the new Goex. Have not yet gotten into it as I have a few bottles of old Goex still around.

I used Sheutzen about 8 years ago when Goex was out of stock with my usual vendor. I was in the middle of doing load workups with the Moose Wilkinson bullet. This is a compression bullet with very little lube carrying capability.

I very nearly gave up on the bullet because it became "crunchy" to load after only 3 shots. Not useful in N-SSA competition.

Switched to Goex and now I can shoot the bullet indefinitely.

Word on the N-SSA forums is that Sheutzen is noticeably dirtier in muzzle loaders but may work better in cartridges. Personally I suspect that people shooting cartridge guns simply don't notice fouling because it has no impact on loading like it does with a muzzle loader.

I personally won't use Scheutzen powder again if I can help it.

The website for swiss tells this story

Black powder has been produced in Switzerland since the Middle Ages. Initially by farmers, who operated the powder mills as a sideline to agriculture. The initially very poor quality led to the fact that many of the first powder mills were destroyed by explosions. In 1852, the 5 remaining powder mills were put under state control. In 1894, all Swiss powder mills were closed - except for Aubonne and initially Chur, which also had to be closed in 1976 due to the increasingly dense population. In the 1990s, the Poudrerie d'Aubonne was seriously threatened with closure due to economic difficulties. A joint takeover by the canton of Vaud and a private entrepreneur in 1996 saved its continued existence.

Wano's site simply states privately owned.

I can't find any indication that they are under the same ownership.
From schuetzenpowder.com;

Schuetzen Powder Energetics, Inc.
We are a national leader in black powder
For firearms, fireworks, mining, and military applications. A joint venture between Petro-Explo, Inc. and WANO Schwarzpulver GmbH, WANO provides over 330 years of black powder production at the same facility in Germany.

From schuetzenpowder.com;

Schuetzen Powder Energetics, Inc.
We are a national leader in black powder
For firearms, fireworks, mining, and military applications. A joint venture between Petro-Explo, Inc. and WANO Schwarzpulver GmbH, WANO provides over 330 years of black powder production at the same facility in Germany.
Yes, I saw that but find no relationship between Petro-Explo and Swiss.

According to the Gun Works located in Springfield, Oregon with decades in the Muzzleloading community, Estes hired a Chemist to tweak the formula. It now burns cleaner and has higher velocities. The person I spoke to said it's similar to Swiss.

A club member said he knew someone who chronoed it and the increase was "only" 200 FPS. On rifles that shoot velocities anywhere from 1000 to 1800 FPS, 200 isn't insignificant!

Walt

Latest posts

Back