• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

goex powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wat kind of powder should i use in my percussion .50? fff ff ffff?

4F is out of the question...for flintlock priming only...extremely fast buring, would instantly jump excessive pressures if used as a main charge;

3F or 2F are fine for .50cal.
Personally, I use 3F in .45/.50/.54...fast/clean/accurate.

Most load data charts are based on 2F charges...If you decide on 3F, the industry rule of thumb is to reduce the 2F data by 15%.
ie: if a patched ball load allows 100grns 2F, and you want to use 3F instead, reduce the charge to 85grns of 3F.

I agree that 4f is out, I tried fffg thinking I could use one powder for all of my .44 and .50 cal. guns. seemed to work OK except in the .50 cal flintlock, it kept filling the pan with powder from the breech, so I went back to ffg in that and all is well.

I agree that 4f is out, I tried fffg thinking I could use one powder for all of my .44 and .50 cal. guns. seemed to work OK except in the .50 cal flintlock, it kept filling the pan with powder from the breech, so I went back to ffg in that and all is well.

Wow, sounds like a pretty big touch hole...early armies used to use that approach to do what is called "auto-prime"...poured the main charge, bumped the butt of the musket on the ground a few times, and the pan is full!

Wow, sounds like a pretty big touch hole...early armies used to use that approach to do what is called "auto-prime"...poured the main charge, bumped the butt of the musket on the ground a few times, and the pan is full! [/quote]

It's a Traditions Pennsylvannia with the origional touchhole. I used to think the 4f primer was leaking out, I later decided it was leaking IN. I started carrying the gun tilted towards the pan and tapping it frequently, that's when I found the 3f in the pan.

I'd replace the liner with a new one, drill it to 1/16th. and "cone" it slightly!!

YMHS
rollingb

muzzman,
i use 3fff in everything from my .32cal up to and including my .54cal never had any problems. have even used it lately to prime my .50cal GPR at least till i get some 4ffff.
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup:

I use fffg in my .50s. Both are flintlocks and I prime with fffg as well....the old timers loaded and primed from the same horn. I have tried fffg in up to .62 (20 bore), but will probably go back to ffg in the big bore guns. I shot ffg in my .58 rifle when I had it (traded it off in a fit of stupidity). I know of many shooters who use fffg for everything, but some guns like ffg better. Certainly use fffg for .40s and under....

wat kind of powder should i use in my percussion .50? fff ff ffff?

Back