• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

goex

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the bp used here you'll find is probably Goex as its the only American made bp still in production. Its fine and gets the job done for those who use it. :thumbsup:

Well it is black powder. I don't find it difficult to clean bp guns using any of the bp brands that I use at all. Its a necessary thing that comes a long with the territory. :idunno: Only takes a few minutes and a few patches to clean mine up...

I shoot goex an like it. Its no harder to clean afterward than any other. Like swampy said it just goes with it an I've done it so much I dont even think about it anymore :thumbsup:

Truthfully - all I have used in muzzleloaders since DuPont sold out to them. :haha:

Is it easy to clean? Easier than getting soot off a fireplace glass but harder than washing a coffee mug. :idunno:

Takes 15 minutes with a little soapy water and then an oiled patch.

Except for burning a little Elephant when that was all I could get, Goex is the only thing I've used since my Dupont ran out and they quit making it. Considering cost, it remains a very good deal for the performance it gives.

Goex is good.
Schuetzen is good
Swiss is good
Kik is good

There are some other black powders that are also good.

If you find some really old powder in a black can called Elephant it might be OK but usually it was a little less powerful and it made a lot of fouling in the bore when it was shot.

Elephant is no longer in business although another company has bought their equipment and has started exporting black powder from Brazil again.

I prefer goex as I'm a rabid "buy American" guy whenever practical. That said, I did try the Graf's house brand 3f when they were out of goex for an extended period. The graf stuff was made in germany by wano, and I honestly couldn't tell the difference. A buck cheaper a pound than goex, but I'll only buy it when goex is out of stock to help keep my countrymen employed.

i just recently got into bp and its really not that much diff than pyro but the main thing is your gun will always go off cleaning is still simple and much cheaper so all in all deff worth going with goex

Pyrodex :barf: is corrosive in and of itself. It must be cleaned right away. Also will not work correctly in a flinter as almost all non-BP powders out there now.

Never shot anything but, and have no reason to switch, the only problem is when I clean my gun inside, the wife bi***es :rotf:

recently I was reminded of one of the reasons I made the switch to GOEX from Hogdon 777..a buddy and I went deer hunting in S. ohio during the primitive weapons season. My buddy was using 777 I was using Goex. We seen no deer the first 2 days. Then I popped a doe..without hangfire nor hesitation my T/C Hawken went off. My buddy didn't get as lucky as I did and before we left he shot his his T/C hawken off before loading it up in the truck. It HANGFIRED BADLY..he would have possibly missed, or made a bad shot, if he would have had a shot at a deer. The 777 has a tendency to hangfire and grow weaker with age. Whereas the Goex is as reliable as any powder can get and stays strong with age.

Goex cleans as easily as any of the subs. I have two cans of Goex left from the seventies and the powder shows no deterioration. I'm not sure ANY of the subs will last that long.

lightle man said:
Has any one ever tryed geox, is it any good?

Goex is a good BP I used it for years and Dupont before that.
IF you buy the better powder. I would not buy the "re-enactor" grade powder for anything but noise making and I don't waste powder this way.
The red lable Goex is now significantly better than it was at Moosic which at times was pretty dismal. I know, I used to shoot competition with it. It was not unusual to throw away about 1/3 to 1/4 of the powder in every can 20-25 years ago.
The European powders, Swiss, Schuetzen, Wano etc and current Goex red label are the only ones worth shooting with projectiles. There are Chinese made powders as well and these should be avoided IMO.
Goex used to be all there was in the US and until they blew up the old Dupont Moosic plant the last time about 14 years ago was made in a historic powder plant in PA.
Its made in Louisiana now.
Ownership at least in the 20th century was Dupont, then Gearhart-Owen Industries (GOI), then Goex and now owned by Hodgdon.

Dan

Back