• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Going Back to Black have a few questions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jh45gun

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have decided that black is still the way to go after trying the substitutes. Pyrodex is dirtier than black, 777 cleans easier but leaves that darn crud ring and American Pioneer has a crappy shelf life and is not that efficient compared to black or 777. Do not even care about the others as I have had enough with the substitutes. So my question is I have enough 777 left to sight in my underhammer before I need new powder. Taking in to account the 15% difference if I make that adjustment and sight it in with 777 and then switch to black will it be off that much if I keep the caps and the conicals the same? I suppose I could sight it in to get it close if nothing else and then fine tune it to the black. One more thing I shoot 54 cal ( A ball shooter 1 in 72 twist, and a fast twist in my underhammer for conicals at 1 in 28. I also have a 32 I will be messing with and a 50. Can I use 3 F in all of these ok. I have heard the 3 f burns cleaner than the 2f. Also what about shotguns as I have a 12 guage underhammer I will be shooting what grade is better for that?

I personally use 3fff Goex in all my rifles
from my .32 Crockett to my .54 Hawken. But that is me, I know others use 2ff on anything .50 and
above.
snake-eyes :hmm:

Since these are percussion guns, with direct line ignition, you should have good results shooting FFFg powder. I recommend you check the sightings using BP, so you know where, if anything the balls will hit differently when you change from Triple 7 to Goex FFFg. You might, BTW, try Goex Cartridge grade, as I am told that it is FFFg powder that has been sifted at the company, and is very consistent in size of granules. That will contribute to both accuracy and the clean burn you want, regardless of caliber.

i use 3F in all my underhammers. welcome back to black. i made the same trip. :thumbsup:

If you cange any variables you will get diferent results. Changing powders is a mighty big variable.

jh45gun said:
...777 cleans easier but leaves that darn crud ring...

Take your leftover 777 and send it to Toby Bridges along with a note explaining that it leaves almost as much crud behind as his logic. :grin:

Jumpshot said:
If you cange any variables you will get diferent results. Changing powders is a mighty big variable.

jh45gun said:
...777 cleans easier but leaves that darn crud ring...

Take your leftover 777 and send it to Toby Bridges along with a note explaining that it leaves almost as much crud behind as his logic. :grin:

I don't care who you are, that's funny right thar!

Thanks guys yea that toby crack was funny. LOL I have a little FFFG black that came in a flask that I had bought that I think I will shoot after I use up the 777. I will use the 777 to rough sight it in then swab out the barrel and use the black up for fine tuning. Thanks for the tip on the cartridge grade the local gunshop sells that too.

Back