• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Going "Medieval" on the turkeys.......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Some of you may recall that I've been recuperating from a Valentine's Day retinal detachment surgery (not a good way of evading an expensive supper out, by the way).

Today I saw my surgeon again and had another laser treatment to "shore up" things.

Before this session began, my mind was on turkey hunting and I asked him directly about recoil and my eyes. I feared the worst.

He replied that if it were his eyes, he would not be shooting any moderate to high recoiling guns. He saw the look on my face and added, "at least, not at this time".

I told him a bit about my fondness of shooting and hunting. I also shared with him my fondness of having sight and that I appreciated his opinion on the matter.

No more than pellet or rimfire guns, he said.

So, after hearing this and prepping for it since mid-February, I'm going to sit on the black powder sidelines this Spring. I expect you guys to step it up and share all you can with me (us), as I plan to live vicariously through your hunts.

Plan "B" was to hunt with a smoothbore handgun and wait on a gobbler to get real close. I'm not one to look over my shoulder, and this idea, I've found, would put me outside of the regulations.

Plan "C".......I've borrowed a crossbow from a friend. Am I happy with the choice? Only in regards to it keeping me out with the turkeys this Spring, and in a safe and legal manner. So, please don't disown me brothers, but I'm going sort of "Midieval" where turkeys are concerned in a couple of weeks.

I don't know how the moderators will feel about this thread or maybe a future one picturing a big old gobbler (if I'm lucky), but, hopefully they and you understand that nobody wants to chase a gobbler down with a front-stuffer more than me. Nobody.

I'm hoping you all will make some good white smoke with that magical black powder, leaving plenty of feathers in your wakes!

All the best and be safe, Skychief.

After reading about your condition, I'm willing to let this one slip by but, I DO NOT want this topic to turn into a big archery or spear hunting topic.

If someone wants to really talk about their archery or spear or sword hunts they should do it on a forum that caters to those things. Not here. The Muzzleloading Forum is not the place for it.

Skychief as regards the respect, and concern, I think many of us have for you on this forum, I am glad your post will be allowed to remain. Hopefully people actually read all of your post, AND Zonie's, and don't screw it up.

For me, turkey hunting is as much, or more, about the process (the call and response, the strategy, the skills involved), and the enjoyment of the spring woods, as it is shooting a bird. I'm sure you will have a great season, and get to keep your eyesight.

Skychief, I know of a place where you will be welcome to discuss your success or failure to kill a turkey with a crossbow. Most of the people are of good nature and proper wit. Plus you are already a part of the family. Even if no one else will talk to you about a crossbow you are always welcome at my fire ring so come on down and sit a spell.
Darkhorse

I like to hunt with horizontal bows. Easy, quick and quiet compared to a muzzleloader. Depending on your rig, 30-40-maybe 50 yards is do-able with precise accuracy. Good back up plan to keep you in the woods! Good luck

Skychief, Prayers for a complete and speedy recovery. The crossbow is as challenging as a muzzleloader, best of luck. Keep your powder/arrows dry...……...robin

Skychief
I know the feeling, I had my rotator cuff surgery and bone spurs removed a week before spring gobbler season a few years ago. I thought my season was going to be a bust then I thought of plan D and E. (D) Take a camera, I went with plan (E), I took my buddy and his 2 sons who never hunted Gobblers before and called in a 20 lb, 10 inch bearded bird that his 13yo son killed and an hour and a half later I called in a 22lb 10 inch bearded bird that his 10yo son killed. It felt as good as if I had taken the birds myself. It may have been the best season that I ever had, if not it ranks right up there. Which ever way you go, good luck, be safe and heal fast.

Last edited:
Back