• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Going Off Halfcocked, or How I Got My First BP Tattoo

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got mine shooting the left barrel from the hip, side blast went straight through my shirt sleeve.

Same as everyone else, it looked like it might be permanent but eventually went away :thumbsup:

I did something similar but it didn't leave a permanent reminder. I was bringing the hammer back to full cock when my thumb slipped off allowing the flint to strike the frizzen. The gun fired, burned my hand and scared the HELL out of me. Ole Jezabell is a fine rifle but she demands my full attention.

I got mine shooting at about 0 degrees in the winter. I think the flint worked loose, so when I closed the frizzen-blam. We (the club) use this as a safety example, as the gun was pointed downrange. Unfortunately, I struck the target and it counted!

The wound was to the base of the right ring finger, and my MD took photos to present at Medical Rounds at the Medical School in town. Nobody has seen flash burns in 150 years!

Improperly installed set triggers.
NOTHING can be allowed to touch the sear until the instant of firing.
Anything else is "asking for it".

Dan

Well, now I feel a bit less dumb- 'cuz I'm not the only guy with a flint tattoo! I got mine when I choked up too much with the front hand in offhand position. Managed to get the tip of the middle finger in the path of the jet from the vent. Significant- read deep- third degree burn, with many embedded powder particles. This was over a year ago, and there is still a blue-gray shadow under the skin.

My Dad would have been proud of me, as I racked the rifle before I looked at the injury or said any mountain man words.

Doc advised me to soak the injury in hydrogen peroxide twice a day, and debride it by massage and wiping with a bit of coarse cloth. Also used triple antibiotic ointment.

White Fox

Latest posts

Back