• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Going to Dixon's for a flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryK

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have never been to Dixons, and it is about 2 1/2 hours away. I have hunted with my TC renegade for 30 years but I had a desire to get a more traditional rifle for deer. Does Dixon specialize in any builders? Should I look at new rifles, or is a used rifle a better value? I'll probably take 1500, but I don't have to spend it. Since it is kinda close, I can make a few trips. So what is a good game plan? I was thinking of going on this Saturday or Sunday.

I stopped in at Dixon's about 3 weeks ago (5 1/2 hour drive from my place, but was heading south).

They did have a good few rifles, everything from very custom from a number of builders to "off the shelf" (had some T/C's for sure, maybe some Pedersoli's).

If you go in without a somewhat "specific" rifle in mind you could come out with an impulse buy that may or may not suit your needs.

If you haven't picked a style, type, model - eg. "I want an early Lancaster in 50 cal" (as the case may be) and you don't mind making a second trip, I would stop in, talk with them, get their advice then touch/poke/shoulder a number of rifles and make a top 2 or 3 short list.

Then go away. Give it some thought and ask questions on the forums etc where ever you can get an opinion.

$1500 will get you a "new" off the shelf rifle from them easily, possibly a semi-custom (maybe) and perhaps a used custom. So it kinda depends what you want.

I don't remember if they had any rifles "in the white" because I was in there specifically to buy building supplies and only took a quick look at the rifles.

2-1/2 hours in which direction?

Fort Chambers is JUST off the Scotland exit of I-81 (between Chambersburg and Shippensburg). He often has customs (new and used) sitting in the rack for sale. He's open Saturday, but not Sunday.

They will not tell you on the phone what they have. There are probably 50+ rifles, all semi-customs, hanging from the ceiling. Plus at least that many flint and cap factory guns on the side wall in racks. Lyman, TC, Pedersoli and maybe a few others.

New guns are what Dixons sells for the most part, but most used guns and the semi-customs are consignments, maybe a trade-in or two. And there is probably a good selection of different
"schools".

If you can swing it, I would suggest visiting a weekday evening. They get pretty crazy on weekends, and not as much chance to speak one-on-one with Greg or another, or if Chuck peeks in anymore.

Mon-Tue. and Thur. 10:00-5:00 and 6:30-9:00 p.m.
Fri. Sat. 10:00-5:00
Sun. 12:00-5:00.

excess650 said:

Fort Chambers is JUST off the Scotland exit of I-81 (between Chambersburg and Shippensburg). He often has customs (new and used) sitting in the rack for sale. He's open Saturday, but not Sunday.

I stopped in there a day or two before New Year's. He had almost nothing to sell - said sales just prior to the primitive season was strong this year.

He did have one beautiful custom that he took off the wall for me to shoulder, but with an asking price of 10K I did hand it back :grin:

But well worth the stop - he will talk your ear off and show you his 50 cal "banana clip"...

galamb said:
excess650 said:

I stopped in there a day or two before New Year's. He had almost nothing to sell - said sales just prior to the primitive season was strong this year.

He did have one beautiful custom that he took off the wall for me to shoulder, but with an asking price of 10K I did hand it back :grin:

But well worth the stop - he will talk your ear off and show you his 50 cal "banana clip"...
Now that the late season is almost over, AND after Christmas, stuff will come back in....I happen to know of an early Lancaster that is being built for them...will have to check on the bore size.

Terry;
It's not the best time...

First, they will have just sold much of their inventory for hunting season.

Second, it's too early for them to buy back used.

If you call, well, I too was thinking about how that'd go...

"Hi, Dixon's?"
"Yes -- good afternoon, can I help you?"
"Yes, can you tell me what flintlocks you have?"
"Flintlocks?"
"Yes."
"Have here for sale?"
"Yes."
"All of them?"
"Yes please."
"Really!?"
"If you don't mind."
"Um, Sir, you've never been here have you?"
"Not yet but I'll be driving 2-1/2 hrs to get there."
"Boy are you in for a treat, but, we really can't go through everything we have on the phone -- it's just not feasible."

I'd ask them when it's best to plan a trip for the most options other than The Gunmaker's Fair.

DEFINITELY CALL FIRST

and make sure they're going to be there!

I was there day after new years, and a sign indicated they'd be on vacation for a week or thereabouts, but I do not recall the starting day... might be now, might be next week, I don't know, so CALL them...before hitting the road.

If I was 2 1/2 hours away, and had the time, I'd just go(WELL CALL FIRST). They couldn't answer much over the phone. The rifles are hanging in the ceiling, and all over the place. They sell rifles from various artist. The place is jammed with so much stuff, there's little room, for anything else. Rack of books, period clothing, horns, locks, cleaning rods, pistols, barrels, bins and bins of hardware, flints, replacement parts, new guns, antiques. If you didn't buy a thing, it would be worth the trip. If I was 2 1/2 hours away, I'd be there today.
Oooooh! I just googled Dixon's muzzleloading shop and there was a link below it for a You tube videos of Dixon's, I only watched a miniute or so but that's what you need to see.

Call first to see if they are open and at what times. Go and "visit" and look around and talk to them about what you like / want. Do not buy unless you find the "love of your life". Go home and do some thinking then some more thinking. Call Tip Curtis and talk to him and see what he has. My 2 cents.

I KNOW that a .54 flintlock early Lancaster was just dropped off at Fort Chambers. The builder said it was a nice piece of wood (nice stripe and color)but no patchbox. He didn't know what they were going to ask for it...

All ya'll folks that live up in those parts are in muzzleloading heaven. Where I am all I can do is dream about going. Going to Dixons or Tip Curtis IS on my bucket list though and The way ya'll describe these places I would probably never able to leave the store knowing I won't be back. My credit card folks would also be calling me asking me about all the stuff I bought and if it was really me buying all of it. :hmm: It would be me calling them up to extend my credit line that would send up the red flags :grin: . Does Dixons have a Magazine like MBS or Track of the Wolf?

Frenchman said:
:hmm: Rusty Nail I dont know who you talked to but, I always get an answer as to what they have. This is going on for 5 years :thumbsup:

Dixons? They tell you all the semi-customs normally hanging from the ceiling? And the pistols in the case? And used muskets and rifles on the front and side walls? Or do you ask for something specific?

Only time it might be a few minute call for them to tell you what they have is just after flinter season, which ends Saturday, or just after the Gunmaker's Fair.

Most other times, that is a pretty fair list to pass on!

armakiller said:
All ya'll folks that live up in those parts are in muzzleloading heaven. Where I am all I can do is dream about going. Going to Dixons or Tip Curtis IS on my bucket list though and The way ya'll describe these places I would probably never able to leave the store knowing I won't be back. My credit card folks would also be calling me asking me about all the stuff I bought and if it was really me buying all of it. :hmm: It would be me calling them up to extend my credit line that would send up the red flags :grin: . Does Dixons have a Magazine like MBS or Track of the Wolf?

It is a heavy burden to bear! :grin: Dixon's is 60 minutes, Ft. Chambers is 45! :rotf:

And if / when you fill the slot in your bucket for Dixon's, do it during the Gunmaker's Fair! One word describes it... WOW!:thumbsup:

Dixon's ML

Latest posts

Back