• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Going to Dixon's for a flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This Berks County boy got it! :)

As for places to eat, if you want to get off the beaten path a tad, take Route 143 south from I-78 about 10 min and hit the Virginville Hotel (no, I didn't make up the town name, PA has a few interesting ones, and that's one of them). Quiet atmosphere, good home-style food. It's maybe 30 min, tops, from Dixon's parking lot.

tdd said:

As for places to eat, if you want to get off the beaten path a tad, take Route 143 south from I-78 about 10 min and hit the Virginville Hotel (no, I didn't make up the town name, PA has a few interesting ones, and that's one of them). Quiet atmosphere, good home-style food. It's maybe 30 min, tops, from Dixon's parking lot.

Virginville? Is that close to Blue Ball????....definitely a ways from Mountville and Intercourse.... :rotf:

excess650 said:
tdd said:

Virginville? Is that close to Blue Ball????....definitely a ways from Mountville and Intercourse.... :rotf:

Actually Blue Ball is not far from Intercourse... or Gap... or Bird-In-Hand... and I believe even Paradise is somewhere closeby! :grin:

And thats no Baum's Bologna! :rotf:

smokin .50 said:
I was just there buying a sling last week or so. They're CLOSED from the 13th to the 18th for Inventory. They do this after every PA Flintlock Season (annually), so I'd call before I'd drive a long ways. They are OPEN Sundays, so maybe the 19th will be better?

I'm one of their "regulars" and I drive 100 miles each way to get there! Been going there for YEARS! Great folks, and will help you with all sorts of building questions. They have 3 powder magazines and always have powder (except during the Fair--they run out every year--because they can't pay for a 4th magazine to get used only once a year).

Gregg's Dad Chuck wrote a book on building the PA Long Rifle, and the entire family is into competitive shooting.

If you wind-up getting there, be sure to stop at Dietrich's Meats (just off the Exit #40 on Rt. 78), and the Winery around the corner from them. Cabela's has other "stuff" to do than just Cabela's these days, including a huge Cigars International store next to their parking lot.

For cheap eats I go to the Kempton Inn in Kempton, just down Rt. 737 from Dixon's! Priced right and decent portions. Near Cabela's there's a McDonalds, Burger King, Red Robin, etc.

So a trip to Dixon's can be an interesting, all-day affair with Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives, lol! (Ought to be a convenience store instead of a Federal Agency, lol!!!)

Enjoy yourselves!
Dave

Do you mean the Krumsville Inn? Great cheesesteaks and fries. Give my regards to Joyce. Dietrich's does my venison.

Duane

Actually, Blue Ball is much closer to Intercourse, Mountville, Mount Joy, Paradise, and Bird-in-Hand than is Virginville. Virginville is out on its own, so to speak. Have fun with that metaphor. ;)

The Virginville Hotel is good food, though, for sure.

As for Dietrich's, others have surely been there more recently than I. For just buying meat products, I'm sure they're fine. I and a few others have had enough bad experiences with them for deer processing that we don't go there anymore for that purpose.

We're talkin' about the place near the motel, the little airstrip, and the college, right?

Alden said:
We're talkin' about the place near the motel, the little airstrip, and the college, right?

That sounds like Kutztown. Krumsville is somewhat north of there.

Back