• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Going to Dixon's for a flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wife and I had a really "nice" stomach flu last week. If the weather is OK we are going Saturday. I am dropping her off at the Reading Outlet Mall and then I don't have to rush. I may stop at Cabelas, but I generally don't like the atmosphere there.
Any good places to eat near there? We generally wait and eat at a nice Mexican place in Harrisburg.

TerryK said:
Wife and I had a really "nice" stomach flu last week. If the weather is OK we are going Saturday. I am dropping her off at the Reading Outlet Mall and then I don't have to rush. I may stop at Cabelas, but I generally don't like the atmosphere there.
Any good places to eat near there? We generally wait and eat at a nice Mexican place in Harrisburg.

You don't like the atmosphere of Cabela's in Hamburg (???) but you're leaving your wife, alone and I presume unarmed, at the outlet mall in Reading? And drive thru Harrisburg to sit in a Mexican place there!? You've got to be kidding us...

I would also EAT at Cabela's -- one of everything you can't find at a roadside diner (sneak in your own soda if ya wanna save a buck)!

I was just there buying a sling last week or so. They're CLOSED from the 13th to the 18th for Inventory. They do this after every PA Flintlock Season (annually), so I'd call before I'd drive a long ways. They are OPEN Sundays, so maybe the 19th will be better?

I'm one of their "regulars" and I drive 100 miles each way to get there! Been going there for YEARS! Great folks, and will help you with all sorts of building questions. They have 3 powder magazines and always have powder (except during the Fair--they run out every year--because they can't pay for a 4th magazine to get used only once a year).

Gregg's Dad Chuck wrote a book on building the PA Long Rifle, and the entire family is into competitive shooting.

If you wind-up getting there, be sure to stop at Dietrich's Meats (just off the Exit #40 on Rt. 78), and the Winery around the corner from them. Cabela's has other "stuff" to do than just Cabela's these days, including a huge Cigars International store next to their parking lot.

For cheap eats I go to the Kempton Inn in Kempton, just down Rt. 737 from Dixon's! Priced right and decent portions. Near Cabela's there's a McDonalds, Burger King, Red Robin, etc.

So a trip to Dixon's can be an interesting, all-day affair with Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives, lol! (Ought to be a convenience store instead of a Federal Agency, lol!!!)

Enjoy yourselves!

Dave

Alden said:
TerryK said:

You don't like the atmosphere of Cabela's in Hamburg (???) but you're leaving your wife, alone and I presume unarmed, at the outlet mall in Reading? And drive thru Harrisburg to sit in a Mexican place there!? You've got to be kidding us...

I would also EAT at Cabela's -- one of everything you can't find at a roadside diner (sneak in your own soda if ya wanna save a buck)!

We both grew up in the inner city so reading culture is nothing new. People (workers and customers) at cabelas seem to be rude and I just don't enjoy walking around there aimlessly. I just don't enjoy the atmosphere and I can generally find anything they have locally or online. I find it hard to wait an hour with a number tag to find out if they have a scope in stock. The Mexican place in HB is really good. I wish we had time to go to Victory Brewing, but it is too far out our way.

The Mexican place is great. The best service, and nicest Mexican restaurant that I've ever been in.
I think we're talking about the same one. Next to a Red Lobster.

hadden west said:
...nicest Mexican restaurant that I've ever been in.
I think we're talking about the same one. Next to a Red Lobster.

But of course it is.

Ya think? Are the Red Lobsters as good there as in Harrisburg? Lee would NEVER have gone near Harrisburg today -- too dangerous!

I wrote an article on the National Civil War Museum there. There is nothing "national" about it by the way except the name and maybe the level of redistributed wealth. A waste of a half a day and I move into a museum when I go! But at least I was inside the nice, safe, modern, clearly over-funded urban renewal project. It makes no bones about their "humanistic" approach to the civil war, wanting to make people "feel" about it rather than absorb history.

I quite seriously recommended drivers keep their windows rolled up at red lights driving through the city and that was edited out -- not politically correct.

I only been in Texas once, and that was the panhandle near Raton. I'd love to see more of Texas, and shoot some hogs. It's on my bucket list.

Harrisburg dangerous? Not really, the natives generally are just shooting each other. Mostly its drug related and happens at night.... :eek:ff

excess650 said:
...the natives generally are just shooting each other. Mostly its drug related and happens at night...

Funny -- you remind me my draft also warned people not to drive at night...

...and then to keep their doors locked and windows up at red lights!

The museum may be an inner-city revitalization oasis in that desert, but note the parking lot is NOT guarded so if you go do NOT leave anything valuable, like a booster-seat or a CD, visible through the window of your hopefully-alarmed vehicle. Get in, get out -- think of it as a Special Op.

Oh, and, ixnay on the exicanmay estaurantray!

If I wanted to visit a CW museum, it sure wouldn't be in Hbg. :td: :barf: 40 miles away is Gettysburg.

Terry,I have been to Dixons many times and he has a lot of handmade flintlocks hanging from the ceiling.Some are made by 2 brothers from Fleetwood which isn't too far from there,Go toward Ontelaunee Lake off Rt.61.They're name is Kiefer and have been making them for over 30 yrs.Excellent workmanship for around your price range.They don't advertise because they don't have too.They build a lot of flintlocks base on the Frederick Sell who was a well known Gunsmith from Lebanon and Lancaster in the 1700's.If you would like to contact George Kieffer his phone is 610 9211035 or 610 9292331.You won't be dissapointed :thumbsup:

Jacob and Frederick Sell were from Littlestown in Adams County(west of York County), which is south of Hanover, and not far from Emmittsburg, Md.

So what you're saying is "Lebanon balogna"!

:rotf:

Most won't appreciate this one but that's funny right there!

Back