• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gold!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've got jest a liddle over 1/2 oz. of small gold nuggets.
Anybuddy know the proper way of melt'n this stuff, or have any suggestions how I can use it on a muzzleloader??

YMHS
rollingb

Make a real expensive round ball out of it!!!! :crackup:

iirc.. you melt it the same way you do lead .pure gold has a melting point close to that of lead,which is why they add tin to strengthen it

Is it pure gold? I use a lot of gold in My Dental Lab. Most gold is not pure if it is used for casting as in crowns or nice things for Your Lady. I melt it down in a clay crusable with a propane & Oxygen torch.I heat it slow till it just starts to roll with the movement of torch. Remember ,keep the torch moving slow in a circular manor so You don't burn the gold. Don't over heat (just till it rolls)or it will oxidize and end up with pits in the metal. Are You going to us it for inlays? I have been using "GOLD" for inlays in My T C Hawkins (See gold inlays tread) Any ???? email me , Jeff

Beryllium is for touchhole liners, geez..... gold is for coins. I'm terrible with gold, I hate working with it because I drop a lot of it on the floor, etc. Although, I'm thinking about pulling one of my incisors and replacing it with a gold tooth. I'm sure to be a hit with the ladies....classy is my middle name.

SP

Anybuddy know the proper way of melt'n this stuff, or have any suggestions how I can use it on a muzzleloader??

YMHS
rollingb
well the old timers would mix Mercury with their gold dust and bake inside a potatoe to make nuggets...smelling the vapor from this caused their teeth to fall out through. make your touch hole liner Hershel's brother has a video on how to make them from gold

Thanks fellas,.... This gold is what's left from a "claim" I had in Alaska. I'm not sure exactly on the "purity" of it, but I did watch a fella melt some and apply it to some "blown glass" thet he made fer tourists. He said it was darn good stuff.

I've always wanted a couple'a "gold rings" (one, at the muzzle and a wider one at the breech area) on one'a my muzzleloaders, and thot (maybe) I could use summa this gold fer such a project!

Mabe I'll take the "easy way" out, and make'a "roundball" out of it,..... or,.... load it up in my NWTG and see how it "patterns"!! :hmm: :: :eek: :shocking: :crackup:

YMHS
rollingb

have any suggestions how I can use it on a muzzleloader??
No. But can you loan me 5 bucks? :: :: :winking: :winking:

Regards, sse

P.S. :blah: :blah:

I don't know about your nuggets, but if things haven't changed, true gold nuggets are worth a lot more than raw gold.
You might want to see if someone who deals in gold can give you a good price for it and then use the money to buy some alloyed gold (14k) rings at a pawn shop.
You might end up with more gold to fool around with. It will still be soft enough to work with, but will wear better where ever you use it. :)

I don't know about your nuggets, but if things haven't changed, true gold nuggets are worth a lot more than raw gold.
You might want to see if someone who deals in gold can give you a good price for it and then use the money to buy some alloyed gold (14k) rings at a pawn shop.
You might end up with more gold to fool around with. It will still be soft enough to work with, but will wear better where ever you use it. :)

Zonie,.... Yep!!.. I know the nuggets are worth more as they are, but I'd sure like to find some "practical use" fer'em. Seem's like I heard the same thing 'bout the old mountaineers when they was "ply'n" tha streams fer beaver.

Anyway,.... Do you know wher I can git some "gold wire" fer put'n on my rifle barrel?? (I'll jest put these nuggets on the "back burner" fer now.) :boohoo: :haha:

YMHS
rollingb

YMHS
rollingb

Make a roundball out of it, what a conversation piece that would be, plus it would make you better than the lone ranger, he only used silver... :winking:

Fashion it into a front sight blade???

Oh this all reminds me of an old mini series Robert Conrad stared in as a French trapper, darn I can't remember the name right now but I'm pretty sure it was the one where a chief made a roundball from some yellow stones found in the river...

Oh this all reminds me of an old mini series Robert Conrad stared in as a French trapper, darn I can't remember the name right now but I'm pretty sure it was the one where a chief made a roundball from some yellow stones found in the river...

Robert Conrad played Pasquinel in the mini-series Centennial... (1978)

colorado.jpg

Latest posts

Back