• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good 1st-time flint smmothbore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello:

Pretty new poster here. My friends shooting some beautiful 62 caliber fowlers have given me the bug for a flintlock smoothbore.

Any leads on a decent quality entry level rifle? Any quesses as to whether or not I could locate one in left-hand?

All advice appreciated! Tight groups!

First, define entry level. One man's entry level is another's really nice semi-custom. Also, it pays to buy the best you can afford. Then, if you don't like it, you have a shot at getting your money back. Cheap guns lose their value quickly. If you like blackpowder shooting (you will), you have a fine firearm that will last and be a prized possession. And, it will become a family heirloom. Used guns are a possibility not to overlooked. Type track of the wolf into your browser window and look over their guns. As mentioned, Caywood's are fine guns. Try Early Rustic Arms,too. That should get you started. Oh, last but definitely not least, Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading.

You can't go wrong with a Tennessee Valley Muzzleloader (TVM) firelock. I have a left handed version of one of their rifles - ablsolutely love it. They're good folks to deal with and because of the wait to get the firearm you can make monthly payments. I'm looking at possibly buying one of their French Tulles in .62 smoothbore (down the road). :m2c:

A Miller Muzzleloader !! :D Hee hee hee !!! :)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1705338806033.jpg
    FB_IMG_1705338806033.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 0
OMG, this post started >19 years ago, and I have probably bought more than that number flintlock or earlier ignition smoothies since then, L O L!!!!!
LOL !! Yeah , I saw this old post from you ...thought it was really cool . ..you asking about smoothbores to buy and now yer an accomplished smoothbore off hand shooter . Thought it was pretty cool :)

Last edited:
Yup, but some folks always need the attention and have to put their 2 cents in, especially of they can use it to promote themselves.....

But, maybe a discussion,,, in a fresh topic,,,, of what makes for a good starter smoothbore wouldn't be a bad thing?
I agree because I'm thinking about getting a flint smoothbore kit. Most point me toward Kibler, which I like.

I agree because I'm thinking about getting a flint smoothbore kit. Most point me toward Kibler, which I like.
So start a topic, asking in generalities what things to look for and what pitfalls to avoid. Keep in mind that some of the deciding factors for you personally will be determined by your own intended use for the gun.

I own a Centermark Fusil des Chase (my first flintlock smoothbore) and a TVM smoothrifle. There are good and bad points to both, but I'd recommend either. The Kibler kits are great, as are some others that take more skills to build. And as much as I might bust on Mr. Miller for his constant self promotion, he makes a nice looking gun (I've never gotten to personally handle one) with a good reputation.

Go start that new topic 👍

Don't expect rifle like groups. It is all relative. At Friendship the smoothbore silhouette range maxes out at 125 yards. The rifle range (round ball) farthest shot is 200 yards. Where a rifle and shooter can hit a 6-inch bullseye at 100 yards consistently, a smoothbore and shooter will be able to do it at 50 yards with proper loading and practice in aiming with just a front sight.

The smoothbore shooter will hit the mark occasionally at 100 yards because the ball happened to be in its spiral swerve in the correct path by chance not by the gun and shooter itself. There are rare exceptions. A smoothbore is still fun as heck to tinker with though.

The image below shows the results of a Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket offhand at 75 yards with patched round ball. I consider this excellent for woodland warfare, but I wouldn't attempt a shot at a deer at that range for sure.

Bob

Attachments

• Indian Trade musket.jpg x3.jpg
    Indian Trade musket.jpg x3.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Don't expect rifle like groups. It is all relative. At Friendship the smoothbore silhouette range maxes out at 125 yards. The rifle range (round ball) farthest shot is 200 yards. Where a rifle and shooter can hit a 6-inch bullseye at 100 yards consistently, a smoothbore and shooter will be able to do it at 50 yards with proper loading and practice in aiming with just a front sight.

The smoothbore shooter will hit the mark occasionally at 100 yards because the ball happened to be in its spiral swerve in the correct path by chance not by the gun and shooter itself. There are rare exceptions. A smoothbore is still fun as heck to tinker with though.

The image below shows the results of a Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket offhand at 75 yards with patched round ball. I consider this excellent for woodland warfare, but I wouldn't attempt a shot at a deer at that range for sure.

Bob
Okay, so continuing this topic from 2005,,,, how well does that gun group off the bench? I agree, that isn't deer hunting shooting from offhand,,, but that doesn't mean one can't get deer a gun/load that will group better from a more supported position.
Sub 4" at 50 yards is a more than reasonable expectation, not sure what that translates to at 75.

So start a topic, asking in generalities what things to look for and what pitfalls to avoid. Keep in mind that some of the deciding factors for you personally will be determined by your own intended use for the gun.

I own a Centermark Fusil des Chase (my first flintlock smoothbore) and a TVM smoothrifle. There are good and bad points to both, but I'd recommend either. The Kibler kits are great, as are some others that take more skills to build. And as much as I might bust on Mr. Miller for his constant self promotion, he makes a nice looking gun (I've never gotten to personally handle one) with a good reputation.

Go start that new topic 👍
Started a topic before commenting here. Was simply replying to the most recent discussions in this thread.

Back