• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What happened to TOW’s gun kits!?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sooter76

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So a number of years ago I got a Fusil-de-Chasse kit off TOW and had a builder put it together for me. (He did a wonderful job too!!) At the time they had a large selection of kits available. I’ve been thinking about having another kit put together and went to look at what TOW has only to find it’s a fraction of what it was back when I got the first one… I don’t necessarily expect the selection to be the same, but to see how few they offer now compared to back then was kinda surprising. Anyone know the reason or what happened to cause the dramatic drop in kits offered?

Guessing it comes down to supply and demand. Can you make a product and sell it while making profit at a price folks will pay for less than the other guy will want for his version of the product? Add some unique features and you can sell for a bit more. Fall behind in features…..

Anyone know the reason or what happened to cause the dramatic drop in kits offered?
Track's "kits" were actually a parts showcase in their catalog. Meaning they showed the reader how you could put their parts together to make whatever they showed in its finished form, sometimes with variations in hardware. So if their "kit" was close to some gun that was envisioned, or an actual gun that the buyer wanted copied, the example was right there in color, and any changes were easier to decide upon for the buyer/builder. So the kit section was a kind of static informercial, so to speak. Instead of the Rifle Shoppe where you might get a single, full length photo of the piece, then a parts list, Track would give you several images, and you could see the part as well.

Further, you could get some services done, such as having them cut you dovetails for sights and barrel lugs, and breeching the barrel.

So as the others have written a lot of the vast array of parts and especially locks and barrels has dried up. So no use showcasing completed gun with images from 6 years ago, when only the hardware and the lock are in stock and the correct barrel is out-of-stock and Colerain or Rice are not planning on a run of that barrel anytime soon.

LD

Track's "kits" were actually a parts showcase in their catalog. Meaning they showed the reader how you could put their parts together to make whatever they showed in its finished form, sometimes with variations in hardware. So if their "kit" was close to some gun that was envisioned, or an actual gun that the buyer wanted copied, the example was right there in color, and any changes were easier to decide upon for the buyer/builder. So the kit section was a kind of static informercial, so to speak. Instead of the Rifle Shoppe where you might get a single, full length photo of the piece, then a parts list, Track would give you several images, and you could see the part as well.

Further, you could get some services done, such as having them cut you dovetails for sights and barrel lugs, and breeching the barrel.

So as the others have written a lot of the vast array of parts and especially locks and barrels has dried up. So no use showcasing completed gun with images from 6 years ago, when only the hardware and the lock are in stock and the correct barrel is out-of-stock and Colerain or Rice are not planning on a run of that barrel anytime soon.

LD

Track relied on a lot of third parties to supply them, which they’ve fallen out of business with. Their stock maker, lock machinist, and barrel makers are all done doing business with them. A lot suppliers have also died over the years, the fella that casted their powder horn tips past away.

I was on their Site yesterday looking at barrels & flints. Choices on barrels of my choice have been out of stock for several years now. I saw they offered the English black in purchase of a dz. I refuse to buy them from them anymore because 9-10 of the dz. are humped. Looking at the Amber flints, selling only at single inflated price. Went to Pecatonica & they seem to relish never up dating their price list. when i call & ask on prices i get different quotes for same item. I am done with that type of business.

I was on their Site yesterday looking at barrels & flints. Choices on barrels of my choice have been out of stock for several years now. I saw they offered the English black in purchase of a dz. I refuse to buy them from them anymore because 9-10 of the dz. are humped. Looking at the Amber flints, selling only at single inflated price. Went to Pecatonica & they seem to relish never up dating their price list. when i call & ask on prices i get different quotes for same item. I am done with that type of business.
Actually Pecatonica just recently updated their web site and they have a new catalog that you can download from the web site.

Barrels are harder to get. Some suppliers have retired or died off. Wood is more regulated now. And I’m sure that Jim Kibler offering high quality, correctly styled, easy to assemble kits might have dug into the demand as well.
I’ve also noticed pre-owned Kibler rifles on tracks website from time to time usually bringing good price. I noticed they do not identify these firearms as Kibler’s, not even the lock whereas they usually tell who manufactured the locks on other rifle examples. Probably do not want to give Jim any free advertising or encourage anyone to buy any kits but theirs. Guess I can’t fault them for that.

I'm sure you can probably still assemble your own kit of sorts by searching out parts piecemeal, then once you have everything you need, it's a kit. That's what I did with my .32 caliber squirrel rifle. I ordered the stock from one place the barrel from another, the lock from yet another, until I had all the parts I needed. In fact, I didn't order all at once. I ordered just the parts I needed at each stage in the build. This spread out the cost.

There's really no need to pay someone else to put a bunch of parts in a box for you when you can do it yourself easily. Plus it's fun, at least it was for me.

Good question O.P. ....Ive often wondered . I really wanted to see a T.O.T.W. Fusil de Chasse and N.W. Trade gun kit . Ive heard scuttle butt but never knew if any of it was true ...I heard that Track got their N.W. gun stock from Pecatonica ...always wondered if that was true or not

Good question O.P. ....Ive often wondered . I really wanted to see a T.O.T.W. Fusil de Chasse and N.W. Trade gun kit . Ive heard scuttle butt but never knew if any of it was true ...I heard that Track got their N.W. gun stock from Pecatonica ...always wondered if that was true or not
Every stock I’ve ordered from TOW was made by Pecatonica, including the NWTG years ago.

Back