• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good Stuff

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
As I got my things ready to go to the range tomorrow I checked one of my favorate things just to make sure no one had fooled with it. Everything was fine so when I finished I thought "you ought to mention this on the forum" so here I am.
Lets admit it. Shooting Black Powder is fun but it takes a lot of stuff. If you leave some of the stuff home, it will be the exact thing you will need so the question is how do you get all of the stuff you would ever need to the range in an organized way without leaving something behind?

For very few bucks, you can go to the local outdoors store and pick up a Tackle Box. Get one of those with lots of fold out shelves with little adjustable dividers built into them. Although built for the 30-100 lures every fisherman must have these are absolutly Great for storing all of your black powder accessories.

In mine you would find shooting glasses, Range Badge, Ear Plugs, 6 tins of #11 caps, 1 tin musket caps, 1 plastic bag with 10 flints, 2 pistol nipple wrenches 1 musket nipple wrench, 2 rifle nipple wrench, 2 screw drivers, 1 stapler, staples, 3 ball starters, 3 sizes of lubed patches, 12 cleaning jags... Basically everything I could need except balls and powder.
If you don't already have a shooting box, give this a try. You won't regret it.
grin.gif

What, no flint knapper?
shocked.gif

Just kidding, cool idea, I have a old wooden box I use, but those tackle boxes are looking mighty good 'bout now...

Just grab your shootin'-iron and box and go...

The flint knapper, pipe cleaners, sight insert blades (for my target rifles) and a whole lot more is what them little black dots are. I figgured three little black dots would be a lot less boreing to read than a complete list of all the manure thats in there.
grin.gif

Another advantage to using a tackle box is the Anti-Gun neighbor down the block will see you carrying it out to the truck and think "Well the gun nut has taken up fishing! He can't be all bad I guess".
grin.gif

quote:Originally posted by 'zonie:
Another advantage to using a tackle box is the Anti-Gun neighbor down the block will see you carrying it out to the truck and think "Well the gun nut has taken up fishing!Then he sees your gun and thinks you are shooting fish.
shocked.gif

This would be a priceless picture.
grin.gif

It's easy for your tackle box to get out of hand. After you have been shooting NSSA for awhile you find yourself shooting; rifled musket, carbine, smoothbore, and revolver. At many of the matches there is a good distance between your vehicle and the range. Suddenly your tackle box is 4X as large and it now has wheels to drag everything around. I don't cowboy shoot, but I understand it can be the sameway.

FYI...as an alternative, MTM Case Guard makes outstanding shooting boxes called just that.

Formerly being heavy into bass fishing I first looked at large tackle boxes but for me I felt there were actually TOO many little comparments and not enough medium to large areas.

So I've ended up settling on these large MTM Case Guard shooting boxes which have a lot of medium & large compartments, and I simply add a few clear 35mm film canisters to hold items like nipples, ear pugs, tiny parts...label them, etc.

Over the years I've accumulated one for regular guns/trap/skeet, one for archery, one for percussions, and one for flintlocks

I use a 100+ year old wood machinist box as my shooting box. It belonged to my great uncle and it works perfect. It has nine drawers for all my necessary tools and parts and the top compartment has a cut out area where the machinists hand book went that holds two cans of powder perfectly. All I do is grab that, my rifle and range rod and I'm all set. Take care, Rick.

I was just sittin' here awondern'; do you s'pose Mr. Johnson or Mr. Bridger had those boxes to haul their stuff around in?
rolleyes.gif

Little known fact that the Pennsylvania Turnpikes (routes 476 and 78) was created solely for pilgrims to move the accessories they needed for their Pennsylvania rifles. More than coincedence that the roads pass by towns like Allentown and Bethlehem and the counties of Berks, Lehigh, Dauphin and Lancaster?

Remember the old saying: "Carry small, rattle small."

Stumpkiller, you have a twisted...tongue-in-cheek, dark satire-ish, (maybe even perverted )sense of humor.....I like that in a man ! hehehe.. never let a few facts stand in the way of a good statement!

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be able to pick up your bag, your horn and your rifle and be on your way and have everything you need for a day of shooting.
Deadeye

Latest posts

Back