• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good to be out...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A rainy second morning out here in Virginia. I skipped opening Saturday since normally there are just too many people. I went out yesterday and had a doe nearly step on me. This morning it started raining at 7. Had a little spike horn sneak by at around 8:15. I passed him up. If he survives, maybe he will be an eight-point next year.

It's great to be outside. Any day in the woods, rain or not is far better than watching the news.

Attachments

• Phelps20214.jpg
    Phelps20214.jpg
    31.2 KB
  • Phelps20213.jpg
    Phelps20213.jpg
    32.2 KB
A rainy second morning out here in Virginia. I skipped opening Saturday since normally there are just too many people. I went out yesterday and had a doe nearly step on me. This morning it started raining at 7. Had a little spike horn sneak by at around 8:15. I passed him up. If he survives, maybe he will be an eight-point next year.

It's great to be outside. Any day in the woods, rain or not is far better than watching the news.
A bad day in the field or on the water is better than a good day at work.

Old school Treebark camo! Man, you don’t see that much nowadays.

Yes, it's a great pattern for sitting at the base of a tree. I will say though that the Fred Asbell wool pullover is one of the best items I have ever worn. The pattern is superb for the fall woods.

Last edited:
Hello OldMaineWoods.

Where are you at in Virginia? I went second Saturday of bow season in Pittsylvania county, underbrush was so thick I couldn't find my stand in the dark. Ending up hunting from my "picnic" spot and had a doe walk up behind me. My hunting partner let me know she was there, see pic.

I'll be out with the muzzleloader this coming Saturday, I may leave the other guns in the safe and use it all season.

Good hunting

Attachments

• Leo.jpg
    Leo.jpg
    77.5 KB
You got that right, it’s great being outdoors! BTW is that Asbell wool in Hedgeapple? If so it’s good stuff as i have a few.

Yes, it's a great pattern for sitting at the base of a tree. I will say though that the Fred Asbell wool pullover is one of the best items I have ever worn. The pattern is superb for the fall woods.
I love Asbell's wool pullovers. I have two of the plaids. One in light colors for snow conditions or in stands of birch or poplar and another in darker tans and browns. Also one of the heavy lined olive drab ones for really cold temps. They are extraordinary garments.

But, the best overall pattern, IMO, was Bob Fratzke's Winona Camo knits. I don't usually wear "camo" anymore, but I still have several of Bob's sweaters in the closet and put them on from time to time.

Hello OldMaineWoods.

Where are you at in Virginia? I went second Saturday of bow season in Pittsylvania county, underbrush was so thick I couldn't find my stand in the dark. Ending up hunting from my "picnic" spot and had a doe walk up behind me. My hunting partner let me know she was there, see pic.

I'll be out with the muzzleloader this coming Saturday, I may leave the other guns in the safe and use it all season.

Good hunting

I'm in Stafford, just outside of Fredericksburg.

So for our first week here I saw two does and a spike. I do not believe that the rut has started yet here. I say that has both does that I saw were single, with no bucks trailing, and the spike was also a loner that I saw around 8:30 or so.

Thought I had the woods to myself this morning, but the blaze orange parade began around 7:40.

Back