• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goose hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK so let's not delve into using a modern shotshell on Canada Geese, and if folks have a load recommendation for a muzzleloading 16 gauge, feel free to suggest it.

COOKING: Goose Pie (makes two) I've had success with removing the flesh, and making Goose Pie.

You take a pair of frozen pie crusts, and a boxed pair of refrigerated pie crusts...
the flesh of one Canada goose, with any shot removed, and diced
The carcass of the same goose, boiled in a pot of water...
One large diced potato
One medium yellow onion, diced
One diced carrot
One cup broccoli florettes
one half-cup of frozen peas
Cornstarch & water
Salt, Pepper, Garlic

So you boil the defleshed carcass for about an hour, remove it and remove any meat from it that remained after you defleshed it. Put that meat back into the pot. Using the water in the pot (you didn't dump that when you removed the cooked carcass, right?)..., want about two quarts in your pot. Add the other ingredients, and add water to just cover if needed. Stew for about an hour on low heat, add salt, pepper and garlic to taste. At the end of the hour, add enough cornstarch dissolved in water to make it the "stew" thick, and remove it from the heat. This is your pie filling.

Pre-bake the frozen pie crusts for about 10 minutes. Spoon in the goose pie filling between the two pre-baked crusts until evenly distributed and level with the edge of the crusts. (Any leftovers in the pot are for the chef) Cover each filled pie with one of the two refrigerated pie crusts, and then bake according to directions. You will have two goose pies when done.

This is good for goose which tend to have fat. IF you want to make a chicken pie, or a grouse, pheasant, dove, (or pigeon pie for the UK folks) it's better to add two packets of chicken gravy to the water to thicken it. You want a filling that isn't as runny as you find in a pot pie. (At least I don't)

LD

my brother did hit one it seems and it flew on another 3 miles only to crash from the skies , right through a posh conservatory glass roof landing on the dining table of guests eating their Sunday roast...yes its true 😳😳😳😳😳. you could not make up a story like that.

Yeah saw one hit and start to go down, but didn't crumple. Went 200 yards gliding along, crossed a busy roadway, and by then it had descended to about the height of the roof of a passing car...except the passing car was a taller than a car, box, delivery truck ...., WONK! Across the windshield it went.

My buddy and I simply stepped back into the treeline.....

LD

Lets get real . some of the exploits wrote in this thread do not do the sport any good it fuels objections from the antis . To shoot geese use a proper calibre which drops them stone dead .
Feltwad

Lets get real . some of the exploits wrote in this thread do not do the sport any good it fuels objections from the antis . To shoot geese use a proper calibre which drops them stone dead .
Feltwad
Hey, you mentioned a 410!
Some mentioned failures while using a 4g and a 10g and you mentioned the importance of using a dog for how you put it " the runners"!!
Around my parts we call that pot calling the kettle black!

Priceless.

Hey, you mentioned a 410!
Some mentioned failures while using a 4g and a 10g and you mentioned the importance of using a dog for how you put it " the runners"!!
Around my parts we call that pot calling the kettle black!

Priceless.
Once again you are twisting my replies about using a 410 to suit yourself .
Feltwad

Once again you are twisting my replies about using a 410 to suit yourself .
Feltwad
I don't think Britsmoothy is doing that at all. You are just drumming up the usual garbage that you like to spew out on every thread. He didn't recommend shooting a goose with a .410 he merely said that it has, and can be done.

If you argue over a .410 it’s a cartridge nitro I guess I grew up. using a double .410 from 12 years old. It did not kill a raging bull I must admit but a12 bore did, farmer in ditch arms broken badly. I recon with no 4 shot I could kill a goose at 25 yards. Not tried I it with bb, shot plenty hares and rabbits Not yet shot a goose though my .410 had shot plenty of deer with ball , but not by me Oz you cannot hunt with a muzzle loader it’s wicked and cruel get a proper
gun. So whatever you shoot use it sensibly, if you cannot make a painless kill don’t shoot in the first place I love shooting but I won’t be unkind to animals.

I don't think Britsmoothy is doing that at all. You are just drumming up the usual garbage that you like to spew out on every thread. He didn't recommend shooting a goose with a .410 he merely said that it has, and can be done.
You like your mate misunderstood what I said all I was referring to was using a proper calibre to shoot geese I did not mention 410 just replying .Has for drumming up garbage that I spew out on every thread you sir are just like your mate who like to cause ill feelings I will listen to people who talk about what they know about goose not novices which you are, so stop trying to ruin a interesting thread..
Feltwad

Last edited:
Back