• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got #11 CCI caps in Walmart today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got some #10 CCI at Powder Valley online. They sell them by the 100 for $12. Add Hazmat and shipping and they are $15.

And yet Walmart is selling them in a bricks and mortar store for less than half that. Go figure. Is it markup, or just that Walmart is the big gorilla?

Muzzle-loaders.com has CCI #11 for $15 per hundred.
If Walmart sells them that low a price then the other stores selling the same thing for 2-3 times more sure sounds like greed. There’s a shop I know of that was selling the tins at $28 each as of a few months back, almost 5 times more than Walmart.🤬

Those stores that are selling for such a high price bought them from Walmart. You just have to beat them to Walmart. If any of our local members here need any I have a few for the Walmart price (Fayetteville area).

Visited the Allentown, PA Walmart in search of caps. Not seeing any after a thorough search of the sporting goods department, I asked the associate manning the counter there if any were in stock. He looked puzzled and asked me what are percussion caps. I threw up my arms and walked out. Apparently not all Walmarts carry them, even in gun-friendly states like PA. (I’m from NJ so fugedabout finding them in a Jersey Walmart.)

Visited the Allentown, PA Walmart in search of caps. Not seeing any after a thorough search of the sporting goods department, I asked the associate manning the counter there if any were in stock. He looked puzzled and asked me what are percussion caps. I threw up my arms and walked out. Apparently not all Walmarts carry them, even in gun-friendly states like PA. (I’m from NJ so fugedabout finding them in a Jersey Walmart.)
Even more frustrating when you ask the young kid stocking the shelves if they carry CCI caps and he asks what color and size!😳

Taylor, Michigan Walmart just stocked about 20 tins of CCI#11 caps for $5.62@. I bought 3, left the rest. They are just breaking out the muzzleloading "gear". Typical in mid-August.

Talked to Sporting Goods sales in Marshfield, Mo. This morning & they are not getting any percussion caps. Last year i found 5 tins on the hook there. I have to go down to Hot Springs Ar. in couple weeks. So i will stop at several stores hoping to find the golden Tins !

Well fellers, I was the jerk this time. Haven't been able to get any in a few years at Walmart because of the scalpers I've mentioned before. Went into the local store yesterday evening and, low and behold, the guy was just setting up the muzzleloader display. There were ten tins. That's all our store gets every year. I bought eight of them. Went to feed the mother in law and, on the way home, I decided to grab those last two if they were still there. Went in and there were three tins in the rack. Turns out while doing their total renovation of the store it appears they found one from last year behind the counter or somewhere. Bought those three too.

I used to have a good collection of them but, since the scalpers have beat me every year, I'm down to just a few caps. Not enough for hunting season and some target shooting. So last night I fixed that problem. The difference between me and the scalpers is this: I'm not going to jack the price and sell them. I'm gonna shoot them. The caps, not the scalpers .. and if I'm shooting with someone else that is short on caps I'll gladly give them a tin. We gotta help each other out when we can.

If you go out with your percussion rifle and shoot at a target nine times, five times a year, how many years would it take to run out of caps by purchasing 11 tins of 100? :)

My plan now after scoring some caps is to get one of those cap making tools and a large supply of prime-all. Or whatever that stuff is called. Then, hopefully, by the time these caps run out I'll never have to fight for them at Walmart again. Or pay fifteen bucks a tin at Academy sports and places like that. And throw the finger up at the scalpers while I'm at it. All is well.

Our black powder items are going to be price increasing from now on under this current Administration we are under. I don't like being held hostage to greed ! It's even hitting the rock sparkers for flint prices doubling.
Yep. I agree. After I learn how to make the caps the next step is making my own powder. Once I've figured that out I'll try to learn how to Knap my own flints. Never even attempted that before so it is the most dreaded of the three projects. But if another man can do it I can too...

If you go out with your percussion rifle and shoot at a target nine times, five times a year, how many years would it take to run out of caps by purchasing 11 tins of 100? :)
22 years, since your gonna pop a cap to clear your nipple/drum and powder chamber. Unless you fumble and drop a few like me. I’m thinking of getting a piece of carpet to stand on when I shoot, so if I drop one these 20–30 cent caps, it won’t bounce away or settle in the gravel.

22 years, since your gonna pop a cap to clear your nipple/drum and powder chamber. Unless you fumble and drop a few like me. I’m thinking of getting a piece of carpet to stand on when I shoot, so if I drop one these 20–30 cent caps, it won’t bounce away or settle in the gravel.
That's good thinking. I'm a notorious cap popper after cleaning and getting ready to reload. I'll spend more caps getting ready to hit the deer woods than I do actually being on the hunt. And drops are common too. Last week I was in my shop and notice a cap laying in the floor. You'd think it was a silver dollar the way I went after it. And I probably don't have 22 years left anyway.

I’m envious! I paid twice that for 100 cap tins at North 40 last week. I ended up buying ten tins. I can typically get 250 caps at Buffalo Arms for around $35 or so year round, but I’ve got to make the hour-long trip into Ponderay. I heard that Walmarts back east and down south started to get orders of caps trickling in, but I haven’t had any luck finding them here in the PNW. Strange, because the CCI plant is just a couple hours south of us in Lewiston…

I’m envious! I paid twice that for 100 cap tins at North 40 last week. I ended up buying ten tins. I can typically get 250 caps at Buffalo Arms for around $35 or so year round, but I’ve got to make the hour-long trip into Ponderay. I heard that Walmarts back east and down south started to get orders of caps trickling in, but I haven’t had any luck finding them here in the PNW. Strange, because the CCI plant is just a couple hours south of us in Lewiston…
I think this shortage problem and the price gouging everywhere except Walmart are going to drive many of us to just start making our own. That's my plan. There is a new guy on the forum that is fixing to start selling cap makers he machines himself. They're gonna be a bit higher priced then the ones currently available but, according to his pictures, his turns out a better product. I'm gonna go ahead in the next couple weeks and order one of the ones available now and, when that guy is up and running, hopefully grab one of his. Backups for backups, you know ..

I think this shortage problem and the price gouging everywhere except Walmart are going to drive many of us to just start making our own. That's my plan. There is a new guy on the forum that is fixing to start selling cap makers he machines himself. They're gonna be a bit higher priced then the ones currently available but, according to his pictures, his turns out a better product. I'm gonna go ahead in the next couple weeks and order one of the ones available now and, when that guy is up and running, hopefully grab one of his. Backups for backups, you know ..

I tend to agree with you. I purchased one of the cap making dies with which you’re referring to back when I was shooting cap and ball revolvers with the intent to supplement. They weren’t particularly durable or well-suited to that task, but I can see them working fine for single-shot rifles and revolvers. I’ll likely use my homemade caps for plinking and general target practice around the homestead, while reserving my commercially-made caps for competition and hunting.

Back