• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got #11 CCI caps in Walmart today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well fellers, I was the jerk this time. Haven't been able to get any in a few years at Walmart because of the scalpers I've mentioned before. Went into the local store yesterday evening and, low and behold, the guy was just setting up the muzzleloader display. There were ten tins. That's all our store gets every year. I bought eight of them. Went to feed the mother in law and, on the way home, I decided to grab those last two if they were still there. Went in and there were three tins in the rack. Turns out while doing their total renovation of the store it appears they found one from last year behind the counter or somewhere. Bought those three too.

I used to have a good collection of them but, since the scalpers have beat me every year, I'm down to just a few caps. Not enough for hunting season and some target shooting. So last night I fixed that problem. The difference between me and the scalpers is this: I'm not going to jack the price and sell them. I'm gonna shoot them. The caps, not the scalpers .. and if I'm shooting with someone else that is short on caps I'll gladly give them a tin. We gotta help each other out when we can.
I read on here where a guy watched a fella he knew owned/managed a hardware store that carried ML supplies buy all Wally's had and yes, mark them up to sell at his store. So yeah, I'm with you Tim. I was able to get 8 tins from 3 different Walmarts this scavenger hunt season.

I read on here where a guy watched a fella he knew owned/managed a hardware store that carried ML supplies buy all Wally's had and yes, mark them up to sell at his store. So yeah, I'm with you Tim. I was able to get 8 tins from 3 different Walmarts this scavenger hunt season.
This was the first time I've ever took them all. And I hope the last. After a few years of not getting any and finding out from employees the same two guys get them all every year, and having to severely regulate my ability to use my guns, I decided to just do it. But in the other post I mentioned starting to make my own. What I bought the other night realistically might last me seven or eight years. Then I hope to never have to buy any again. And had I left a few they would have been gone super fast.

If you go out with your percussion rifle and shoot at a target nine times, five times a year, how many years would it take to run out of caps by purchasing 11 tins of 100? :)
I’m now making my own percussion caps. I go to the range a minimum of once a week and shoot anywhere between 20 and 50 shots. I shoot a lot of flintlock but shoot my percussion rifles too. A tin of 100 caps only lasts me a couple weeks at best…..now that I’m retired my definition of a good week is one in which I make it to the range a minimum of two times. Yes, I go through a lot of powder too. I just wish I could still see as well as I could in my 20’s and 30’s.

This was the first time I've ever took them all. And I hope the last. After a few years of not getting any and finding out from employees the same two guys get them all every year, and having to severely regulate my ability to use my guns, I decided to just do it. But in the other post I mentioned starting to make my own. What I bought the other night realistically might last me seven or eight years. Then I hope to never have to buy any again. And had I left a few they would have been gone super fast.
I look at as money in the bank Tim. I won't shoot 800 caps this year. So I'll have some for next year. There are days when I'll go through a whole tin, especially when I take the revolvers for a stretch. But it's a good feeling to know they are there when I need them.

I’m now making my own percussion caps. I go to the range a minimum of once a week and shoot anywhere between 20 and 50 shots. I shoot a lot of flintlock but shoot my percussion rifles too. A tin of 100 caps only lasts me a couple weeks at best…..now that I’m retired my definition of a good week is one in which I make it to the range a minimum of two times. Yes, I go through a lot of powder too. I just wish I could still see as well as I could in my 20’s and 30’s.
Due to Walmart being the only place that sells caps and fake powder in our area I've had to learn how to stretch my BP supplies. Where I used to shoot my black powder guns very regularly, now I don't get to do that often. So when I get that urge for trigger time I end up in the back yard with a modern rifle just to keep sharp on being used to shooting. Then if there is some critter in the yard, like armadillos, I'll grab a BP gun and take care of business. I really don't like that, as I am not a fan of modern guns, but with powder and caps not available here, that's how I stay active with shooting. Right before hunting season starts I will lay in pretty hard on BP practice and will hunt with muzzleloaders through all seasons. Since I was actually able to score some caps I can put those modern guns back in the safe. Once I start making my own shooting supplies those modern guns may go away.

I look at as money in the bank Tim. I won't shoot 800 caps this year. So I'll have some for next year. There are days when I'll go through a whole tin, especially when I take the revolvers for a stretch. But it's a good feeling to know they are there when I need them.
Money in the bank is right. Realistically I don't shoot more than probably 200 caps in a year. Other than a little target practice here and there I might shoot no more than 3-5 shots during deer season, no more than twice in turkey season, then squirrel and other small game season. And if I don't have to miss the whole season like last year, I'm gonna try to find a place to hunt quail and use my double. Still probably won't be more than 200 shots. So the caps I scored the other night should last until I'm dead or making my own.

Last edited:
Only finding inline 209 caps in sw Tenn. Which would be alright if I liked shooting scoped bolt actions in a plastic stock. Literally gave away a Savage Axis .308 to the young family that hunts my farm. I’ll stick to a shotgun, revolver or front stuffer.

I got 3 tins (300) CCI #11 caps at Sportsmans warehouse (NC), I left 20 tins on the rack for others to get some. Between the cci (300), rws 10.75 (3000) and the 4 wing musket caps (2500) the 100 7/8 and 100 5/8th inch Flints, I should be good for a few days at least (lol).
I have already built my ball mill, set up my 20 ton press and have set in a goodly supply of kno3 and sulfer as well. My wood is in ventilated stacks in the shed curing before parolisizing into charcoal. 300 lbs of pure lead ingots are currently stacked up in my shop with a line on 250 more pounds that I should be able to score next week. Come what may, covid crisis round 2, Mpox, government overreach whatever the DC crowd of idiots dreams up. I will be able to outfit myself, family and close friends if need be.

I wish the walmarts around here would get some, but nope. Nadda for all of Texas it would seem.
I travel up into Oklahoma occasionally to visit old friends who recently moved there, stopped into several small town wallys and did see the peg where caps would be but already gone, closest I've come.

I wish the walmarts around here would get some, but nope. Nadda for all of Texas it would seem.
I travel up into Oklahoma occasionally to visit old friends who recently moved there, stopped into several small town wallys and did see the peg where caps would be but already gone, closest I've come.
I wonder why they are so hard to come by. I know the scalpers are a problem all over the country but, if more were being produced and the stores would stock more, scalpers might be out of business. If they'd stock more, at least this time of year through the winter, they'd sell. I think so anyway but could be wrong I guess.

I don't know about you but I get pretty freaking tired of playing the cap game every year. I actually think there's more to the cap shortage than what we've discussed...
with the shelves starting to fill up with center fire primers then next year maybe they will start producing a lot more percussion caps and flood the market with them.

Maybe y'all should stop looking in Walmart. I have no problem finding RWS 1075 or winged musket caps. I did a quick search and found about 6 places that have them in stock, of course shipping & hazmat applies. I bought both at our last fall muzzle shoot and 2 vendors had them, bought a sleeve of 1000 for both. For me they work better than CCI or Winchester.

Maybe y'all should stop looking in Walmart. I have no problem finding RWS 1075 or winged musket caps. I did a quick search and found about 6 places that have them in stock, of course shipping & hazmat applies. I bought both at our last fall muzzle shoot and 2 vendors had them, bought a sleeve of 1000 for both. For me they work better than CCI or Winchester.
Good advice but, for me, Walmart is the only game in town. When I go out of town the places that have them want like fifteen bucks a tin and I'm just not paying that. Never ordered anything like caps or powder online. Might have to at some point.

We are looking in Walmart because they are half price compared to online and other store front's and no hazmat fee or shipping. And what would we have to talk about if we all just jumped online and ordered all we wanted, what is the fun in that.

From what I have seen, the two local Walmart's in my area(Central Pa.), received their shipment of caps the 1st week of August and were gone within 3 days as was the case last year. I believe that each store only receives 1 shipment per year and when they're gone their

Latest posts

Back