• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GOT A NEW RIFLE ON THE WAY !!! YEEEEE- HA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
FRIENDS.....
I just purchased a Lyman Trade Rifle online today...
I aint new to smokepoles, but I dont know about this particular brand "Lyman". Up till now have only shot
TC, CVA and Traditions...all 50 cal.
Loved them all......
This Lyman will be at my mountain cabin in 1 week....
KAINT WAIT to shoot her......
What should I expect? How is Lyman Quality?
Did I get a good deal fer $150?
Rifle looks real good online.....called the seller...
He runs gunshop and says that the bore is pristine?
I know it might be VERY risky buying a smokepole
online without seeing it fer myself.......BUT I DID...
whaddaya think I can expect.????????????????
Positive or Negative input is very welcome..
thanks
WV SCROUNGER

The Trade rifle is a well made gun. The only thing i don't like about it is the single trigger. I really like a set trigger on a rifle. but there are those who like the single trigger. Did you buy it on an auction? If so, most of them offer a 3 day inspection period. Most of the sellers i have dealt with on auctions are honest and give an honest description of the gun, so you should be ok. Good luck and have fun with it.

YESSIR.....on an auction..
I shoot a Traditions SHENNANDOAH right now and it has the double set trigger..... I love it....
I figgure I can put up with the single trigger though...
I just thought the 1-48 twist would shoot the REAL bullets better that the 1-66.......
I had A TC hawkins bout 15 yr ago....1-48 and loved it
wish I still had it....
the trade rifle looks similar....same twist....
thought I would give it a try.....

..............WV SCROUNGER

I have owned a trade rifle for over 12 years,use it for local matches.The single trigger is real smooth,the gun shoots better than I can,and hasn't given me one bit of trouble.It may not be as pc as other rifles,but it is a great shooter at a good price.

WV,

I also shoot a shenandoah, but I can't get the darn thing to print well. If I may ask, what load are you using? I really like this rifle, but can't shoot it worth a hoot. Maybe its just me. :shake:

Tim Sturgeon
Irwin, Pa

I usually shoot 90 grains powder......handles lesser loads down to 60 grains quite well also.
Most shooters have a hard time admitting that they
flintching.........I am not saying that that is your problem......but you may give it a thought.....

when I first started shootin flintlock I Would Practice shootin at milk jugs filled with water set out at 125 yds.
I was so intent on seeing the thing explode that I almost never HIT it!
only after realizing that I may be flintching.....and working on my follow thru...did the hits become consistant.....

........... WV SCROUNGER

I have owned a trade rifle for over 12 years,use it for local matches.The single trigger is real smooth,the gun shoots better than I can,and hasn't given me one bit of trouble.It may not be as pc as other rifles,but it is a great shooter at a good price.

Ditto that. I bought mine from an on-line auction a couple of months ago and paid about the same price. I'm still having fun with it and have dialed it in to the point that I'll take it for deer this season. Very subjectively - here's what's worked best in mine:

70 gr. of Goexx 2F. You can go heavier, of course, but this load is mild, acurate and, according to my ML books, produces app. 1600 fps at the muzzle.

Wonder Wad over the powder.

.018" patch (I use the pre-lubed as they are more consistent)

.490" Round ball

Manufacturer recommended #11 caps. I've used # 10's with no problem.

Hope you have good luck with the rifle. I was a flinter for years and this was my first percussion long arm. Can't believe I waited this long. Let us know how she shoots.

Latest posts

Back