• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1842 Armi Sport .69 caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoothshooter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
What diameter of ball mold should I get to shoot this gun with patched ball loads?
I should mention that I am an l advocate of smaller balls and thicker patches in all my guns. The thicker patches load easier and carry more lube.
I may get into shooting paper cartridges later, which I know will require an even smaller ball.

0.662 Lyman ball for patched loads. 0.678 ball for bare ball loads. 0.65 ball for original paper cartridge loads. Actually, all will work for patched ball loads depending on the patch thickness. But for a standard patch the .662 works the best in my opinion.

Bob

0.662 Lyman ball for patched loads. 0.678 ball for bare ball loads. 0.65 ball for original paper cartridge loads. Actually, all will work for patched ball loads depending on the patch thickness. But for a standard patch the .662 works the best in my opinion.

Bob
Balls should really not be patched to more than bore size.

Back