• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got him!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There you go. Just when the 'sperts had us all convinced you can't kill an elk with a roundball. You are aware of course you must use 150 grains of powder. :doh: Anything less is inhumane! And where is your super sent killer, low UV, hide'em all Camo? Ya can't even get close to an elk with out it! :haha:
Congrats on a great elk and proving all the "'sperts" wrong :thumbsup:

Snow

I love doing what can't be done. 2 years ago, I killed an elk with a 41# recurve. Got 20" of penetration. Oh, and I had on the same flannel shirt too. That elk came in to 12 yds. It must not have known about the scent-loc or the spray stuff. I believe the diminutive roundball might kill an elk dead if you put it in the right spot.

cynthialee said:
I don't know what that means...
explain?

(I am a newb, cut a girl a break.)

:grin:

it means boone and crockett score. basically someone came up with a system to rate how much bigger mine is than yours.

grndhntr said:
Oh, and if yer wonderin', I used a .490 patched round ball with 80 gr. Pyrodex P. The shot was through the shoulder muscle (right behind the shoulder bones) and it made it to the far hide (no exit hole). I took the shot while he was walking. I got both lungs and he made it about 100 yds. in about 30 seconds before piling up.

Awesome, I had inquired about hunting a cow elk with the tag I have using roundball, some weren't to keen on the notion. I'm using nearly that exact load because my CVA Mountain Rifle likes it, 80gr. Goex 3f with with a .490 PRB. I just shot a good sized Mulie spike on Monday, broadside double lung shot passed clean through, he layed down after 30yds and took a little nap. I get to go out for my cow tag next Monday, I don't feel undergunned, and I can't wait.

Be Wild, I read your thread just before I went hunting and the pessimists made me want to say "Yeah, watch me!". Don't question your load, just put it right behind the shoulder 1/3 up from the belly on your cow and fire up the grill. One piece of advice: Don't aim too high on an elk. It is amazing how far down the spine comes on an elk. If you think like a bowhunter and don't try to shoot through big bones, a round ball will do the trick.

cynthialee said:
I don't know what that means...
explain?

(I am a newb, cut a girl a break.)

:grin:

Sorry, It's actually inches of antler plus the width in inches minus the differences in each side. It only means something if you have something else to compare it to. I have another elk that scores 317" so this one is a bit smaller. Hope that helps.

Congrats on a fine bull.

Um...what about the 500 sq. in of blaze orange in Colorado, or do you just risk it? Personally, I don't think it makes any sense for ML season, but it is in the regs....

BTW, the brother of a close friend was shot and killed by an idiot when he took off his orange to field dress his bull about 15 years back in New Mexico. It was a tragic example of why it's required. It was a high powered rifle at long distance and I just can't see it happening with a ML due to the short distances involved. It still runs through my mind every time I field dress an animal.

Anybody tells you a .50 caliber round ball is'nt good enough for elk just show them this post! :thumbsup: . Looks like it did a fine job.

bphunter said:
Congrats on a fine bull.

Um...what about the 500 sq. in of blaze orange in Colorado, or do you just risk it? Personally, I don't think it makes any sense for ML season, but it is in the regs....

BTW, the brother of a close friend was shot and killed by an idiot when he took off his orange to field dress his bull about 15 years back in New Mexico. It was a tragic example of why it's required. It was a high powered rifle at long distance and I just can't see it happening with a ML due to the short distances involved. It still runs through my mind every time I field dress an animal.
I was wearing a blaze orange vest while hunting and I took some pictures with the bull with it on for proof. I just like the more traditional look for pictures to remember the hunt by.

...same thing for my avatar photo. I was on a hunt for mule deer there but took the vest off for the picture. It just doesn't look right to look like a pumpkin while carrying a traditional muzzleloader, IMO.

grndhntr said:
...same thing for my avatar photo. I was on a hunt for mule deer there but took the vest off for the picture. It just doesn't look right to look like a pumpkin while carrying a traditional muzzleloader, IMO.

It is odd that bow hunters that are in the woods at the same time as muzzleloaders in CO do not have to wear orange.
I choose not to because it's one of the dumb laws they create for no good reason.
I know for a fact it's for identifying not safety reasons.
I was told that by one of our local DOW officers.
So when my child took hunter safety this spring I took the instructor to task for :bull:ing our kids.
Myself and two other dads called b.s. and the instructor finally had to back off the blaze orange during archery/muzzleloader season debate.

again very nice bull
:bow:

Back