• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got my Wheellock back!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teleoceras

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I got my .58 Wheellock (Sparky) back from Leonard Day yesterday. He fixed up the botched work :curse: that Loyalist Arms had done on the lock mechanism. The fixes included, a new wheel, closing up all gaps, and repositioning the dog spring so that it is pressing down with more force when the gun is fired. :)

He really did some nice work! Now Sparky does spark with the natural AND synthetic pyrite. The fittings are good and tight, so I should not have pan powder trickling into the lock innards. :applause: :applause:

On another note, Mr. Day had shown me some pictures of a .62 Wheellock Arquebus that he builds from scratch. He was able to get a hold of the original gun found in the book "Arms and Armor in Colonial America by Harold Peterson" Page 40, Plate 45. Sooo I asked him to make me one after he has built my Snaphaunce (Olga). That .62 will be Bertha.

I had asked if I could show the pictures of the Arquebus he built, but he has asked me not to post them. :( I did put up the picture of the gun from Peterson's book though at the bottom of my Wheellock page at http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Vault/1945/Guns/Wheel.htm..

Gonna have to take Sparky out the next time at the range. ::

There are synthetic pyrites. I would like to know more about this. Do they throw bigger, hotter sparks than natural. Do they last longer.
Leonredbeard

Leonredbeard:

There are synthetic pyrites. I would like to know more about this. Do they throw bigger, hotter sparks than natural. Do they last longer.
Leonredbeard

I got them from a friend over in Germany. Sorry that I couldn't get a clearer picture, but it can be found at http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Vault/1945/Guns/Temp.htm.

It looks to be made of the same material as sparkers wrapped around a lead sheath. It makes about the same sparks as natural pyrite in most cases. It does last longer than the natural rock too.

Real Pyrite:
Pyrite.jpg

Synthetic Pyrite
synthetic%20pyrite.jpg

Squirrelsarus Rex:

Loyalist Arms built that gun, right? They made the lock?

The gun was built by them and most of the lock was made from TRS parts. I say most because they did admit to modifying some parts without letting me know beforehand. Instead of asking if it was ok (which it wasn't), the changes were made behind my back. :: I got wind of what happened when I had sent the lock back to TRS for a new sear.

Sufficed to say, I am NEVER going to deal with Loyalist ever again. :curse:

I have a number of old Muzzleblasts and MuzzleLoader magazines I look thru and have seen ads for wheellock pistols and rifles by a company called J.F.Schroter Antique Arms in Costa Mesa Ca.
These ads were made back in 1996-1997.
They were offering a .43 caliber Matchlock Caliver kit (fullstock shoulder long gun) for $375, a .43 cal Italian Pistol Wheellock kit and a .43 cal German Wheellock Pistol kit for $300.
Is that company still in business?

I have a number of old Muzzleblasts and MuzzleLoader magazines I look thru and have seen ads for wheellock pistols and rifles by a company called J.F.Schroter Antique Arms in Costa Mesa Ca.
These ads were made back in 1996-1997.
They were offering a .43 caliber Matchlock Caliver kit (fullstock shoulder long gun) for $375, a .43 cal Italian Pistol Wheellock kit and a .43 cal German Wheellock Pistol kit for $300.
Is that company still in business?

I think that they may still be in business. The last information I have on them is:

J.F Schroter Antique Arms
P.O. Box 10794
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
1-800-838-2024

Hope this helps.

I got a wheellock from Schroter years ago and was not pleased with it.It did not function very well.The wheel is,in my opinion,too small and did not throw a good spark.I traded the whole pistol to a friend for a Navy Arms wheellock lock.The trade worked out well for both of us as my friend wanted a non-firing wheellock for demonstrations and I was wanting a good working lock to get a full pistol built.The Navy Arms wheellock lock,sadly,is no longer availible.

This lock is hand made & functions perfectly, every time, whether using flint or pyrites. One wheel is for for Flint and the other for Pyrites.
:
Dag%203.jpg

beautifuul! but....how do it get one and how long does it take? was going to order from Loyalist, but they are years behind now, and above comments sounds like their wheel lock was problematic [sigh]

Cable:

beautifuul! but....how do it get one and how long does it take? was going to order from Loyalist, but they are years behind now, and above comments sounds like their wheel lock was problematic [sigh]

The only two sources that I know of right now are Leonard Day and Albion Small Arms.

Mr. Day is currently builds a .62 Wheellock Arquebus from scratch for about $1800. You have to contact him via Phone or snail mail as he currently has no E-Mail. :(

You can also ask Ron Curley of Albion Small Arms about the big Wheellock musket that he builds. Albion can be found at http://www.albion-small-arms.freeserve.co.uk/home.htm. Their website site says they aren't taking orders, but actually they will if you are willing to wait. ::

Hope this has been helpful! :)

Leonard Day & Sons,
PO Box 1, 6 Linseed Rd,
West Hatfield, MA 01088
413-247-3170

Mid to late 17th C. English and Dutch flintlocks. Kits and finished guns.

Hi Leonredbeard,
principially, "synthetic pyrites" consist of similar material as sparkers for welding machines, etc. (a mixture of cer and soft iron sometimes referred to as Auermetal). The particular piece is specially made for wheellock use and cast into lead for better hold. It is from a shop called the flintknapper (www.vorderlader.de).

It seems, not all wheellocks work well with it - I recall Teleoceras mentioning problems with one of his guns.

Robert

Musketman:

Leonard Day & Sons,
PO Box 1, 6 Linseed Rd,
West Hatfield, MA 01088
413-247-3170

Mid to late 17th C. English and Dutch flintlocks. Kits and finished guns.

That is his old address. He moved late last year. I finally found (i.e. dug it out from a pile of papers) his new addy just now. It is

3 Kings Highway
Westhampton, MA 01027
413-527-9627

Robert:

Heya! Glad to see ya made it! :D

Hi Leonredbeard,
principially, "synthetic pyrites" consist of similar material as sparkers for welding machines, etc. (a mixture of cer and soft iron sometimes referred to as Auermetal). The particular piece is specially made for wheellock use and cast into lead for better hold. It is from a shop called the flintknapper (www.vorderlader.de).

It seems, not all wheellocks work well with it - I recall Teleoceras mentioning problems with one of his guns.

Actually that problem was fixed by Leonard Day. He put in a new wheel and Sparky can now use the synthetic pyrite as well as the natural pyrite very well! ::

Back