• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got my Wheellock back!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Teleoceras,
what change do you attribute the better interworking with the synthetical pyrite to? Is there a difference in the wheel profile, was the cock tension increased?

Robert

Robert:

what change do you attribute the better interworking with the synthetical pyrite to? Is there a difference in the wheel profile, was the cock tension increased?

The new wheel has much sharper lands. Also the wheel is wider so that it wasn't wobbling like before. Now I can fill up the pan and not worry about powder leaking into the lock innards.

Basically, the original wheel was too small and too dull.

How to get one?- you could mail him at [email protected]. Herhaps he'll make another.
:I've seen a suggestion to use welder's sparker 'flint' in a wheellock. I would assume these would be used with the cross-grooved pyrites wheel. I don't think they'll spark with the flint wheel which has longitudinal (around the wheel) grooves. The author said they spark about the same as a flint would. They could be held in an aluminum sleeve, or merely by the cock's jaws.
Daryl

I have tried this. Striker flints will light the pan all day so long as you have no charge in the barrel. Once they are subjected to the needle of flame from the charge they ignite and are usless for the next shot. Maybe wrapping them in lead would work. I tried making a jig to hold them out of sheet brass, but couldn't coordinate everything. They do work on a smooth wheel. I tried making a serrated wheel like the course piece of file in a striker, but they did not work that way.
Leon

Just got a .43 wheellock from THEGUNWORKS. I have had similiar problems with it that you did. How would I get ahold of Leonard Day? Also where would I get ahold of real pyrites to use in it instead of synthetic...

Thanks,
Tim ::

Tim:

Just got a .43 wheellock from THEGUNWORKS. I have had similiar problems with it that you did. How would I get ahold of Leonard Day? Also where would I get ahold of real pyrites to use in it instead of synthetic...

Just scroll up the thread and you'll find the addy to Leonard Day as well as the Flintknapper for the synthetic pyrite.

Thanks for the update on the sparker flints. I'll have to advise the owner of the pistol. He's shot two seasons(trail walks) with the same chunk of pyrites. That's probably only a couple hundred shots though.

By the way, does anybody know anything about Schroeter in California? I wrote to me last year that he was working on a new gun for wheellock/matchlock (interchangeable). However, I do not have an email adress or website of him.

Robert

Just proves that I need to finish reading what is posted before I post...
Thanks,

:redface:

Tim Jesus

Back