• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got out at last

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizz

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Couldn't get out till this morning and didn't have alot of time but was fun.
This was the first meat for the Jackie Brown gun.
28 ga.
60 gr.3F
1 oz. 6 shot.
s001h.jpg

By docorlin at 2012-09-05
The one is small, he was with 3 other little ones and I thought I'd let them grow up for next year.

Nice pic of your 28 Ga. Two tree tigers are good eating.
Can't wait to get my 28 Ga. bloody.

Tree rats taste great! young ones esp. I used to fry them up then make a gravy and add some dumplin's. Yum!

Good hunt, thanks. I like your gun, how about some particulars of it. If I remember it has a 46" barrel? What brand?

Cynthialee, this is what tree rat tastes like.

squirrel_dinnerC.jpg

Spence

That is an attractive gun, IMO. I like it. And you did real good with them squirrels. :thumbsup:

I like the gun. Darn good pic. And Spence your killing this fat redneck. Our season dont start for another month an them squirrel an gravy looks oh so good :thumbsup:

Cinthialee, I hope you have something other then red squirrels where you are. They are pretty tiny & with their diet of pine cones, I'm not sure they would even taste good. They're all we have around here, but can't even shoot them as they are classified as furbearers.
If you have the greys, or better yet, fox squirrels (they're bigger) give 'em a try. They can be a pain to skin, if you've never done one before, but I'm sure a PM to a member who knows would get you a few hints.
Paul

cynthialee said:
I have been wondering what tree rat tastes like lately.

I've noticed that it depends a lot on the individual species and what it's been eating. Overall I'd rate it "in the neighborhood" of the thigh meat on a turkey, but a little dryer. It compares well to snowshoe hare, but I don't know if you've ever tried that. Even a "strong" one comes off as simply having more flavor to me, rather than being objectionable.

I'll tell you this for sure: I sure miss having them around, since moving up here close to 40 years ago. And I'll go out of my way to hunt them in the lower 48 any chance I get. Sounds crazy I'm sure from a guy living in big game heaven here in Alaska, but I've even considered making a "squirrel safari" to several different states.

Thanks all.

Spence,your right on the barrel.
JB 28 ga. smooth rifle
46" barrel
large siler
plain maple stock w/wood patch box.
I've had it since last winter and was not able to hunt with it till now.
I'll be back out in the morning.

George said:
Good hunt, thanks. I like your gun, how about some particulars of it. If I remember it has a 46" barrel? What brand?

Cynthialee, this is what tree rat tastes like.

squirrel_dinnerC.jpg

Spence
Now that's eatin :hatsoff:

Nice gun, nice hunt and I hope you enjoy those squirrels. I think Spence has got it figured out. That is exactly how I prepare my squirrels.

Brownbear, I'm with you on the need for an ocassional squirrel safari. I grew up in Iowa and I know a lot of what I do hunting bigger game is what I learned hunting squirrels.
Paul

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Great hunt,enjoy the taste of them.Our season just opened,can't wait to get out.Griz

Back