• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Gun locks, gun locks? We don't need no stinkin' gun locks!"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got back from a perfect day at the range and the first time out with my .75 handgonne. There sure is something to say for hammer and anvil simplicity, it gets the job done! Attached is my 25 yard target, manning the slow match and linstock alone while trying to aim without sights. A third hand would have been useful. First shot ever is the one closest to the center, last shot of the day is the one at 6 o'clock at the edge of the paper. Man I'm hooked! This has to be the most fun you can have with your clothes on! 50 gr 3F, .715 ball, coffee filter on both side of the ball. That baby packs a wallop
DSC02709.JPG
. Need to improve on my homemade match brew, I used about 2 feet in two hours. Let more fun begin!

I just noticed a third shot hit the target -barely- on the top right edge of the paper. If you look for them it's not too hard to see other .75 holes in the plywood around the target. I can see how balls of that size would either take down an armored knight or his horse. I'm hoping to get some fuse that will allow time to shoulder and aim the tiller. I think accuracy will greatly improve.

One typical and historical record of the ideal 'slow match burn' is about 2 to 2-1/2 Feet (60 to 80 cms) per hour, or a tad more than 3/8" per minute, for those whom can best visualize that.

There are many recipes posted on here and Cap&Ball has YouTube videos showing the recipe and process. DO NOT hang it to dry ... dry it flat, I do so on wax paper.

You a re a brave man! I made two brass barreled cannons and when I test fired them (blank only) they went off what a roar that shook the windows in the house. I had them propped on a cement block and they ended up about 3 feet behind from the recoil. Not knowing how much powder to use, I used a cap off a can of brake cleaner. Probably a little much!

Attachments

• IMG_2640.jpeg
    IMG_2640.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 0
TobJon you have the right solution for sure. I did get a few tiny burn holes in my shirt and on my left hand. Maybe another solution would be a 15' long tiller and linstock.
I have an old truckers hat and huge over my regular glasses safety glasses that came in very clutch when I shot an arquebus without a flash guard.

A brigandine or gambeson also probably helped to protect the shooter… and being used to living a life where everything was terrible all the time…

I have an old truckers hat and huge over my regular glasses safety glasses that came in very clutch when I shot an arquebus without a flash guard.

A brigandine or gambeson also probably helped to protect the shooter… and being used to living a life where everything was terrible all the time…

" Brigandine", " gambeson", TobJon, you have me busy discovering what they are. Yeah, either one is what I want! Maybe the budget will let me buy an old bomb squad suit at a police department auction. :thumb:

You a re a brave man! I made two brass barreled cannons and when I test fired them (blank only) they went off what a roar that shook the windows in the house. I had them propped on a cement block and they ended up about 3 feet behind from the recoil. Not knowing how much powder to use, I used a cap off a can of brake cleaner. Probably a little much!
What caliber are they? Nice workmanship, and I liked your video too.

Back