• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR .54 Flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Charlie

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I got the GPR out and changed the touch hole liner to one made by RMC. It has the allen wrench fitting, which acts like a cone. It made the ignition much faster! How ever it is still a rock crusher! The cock seems to be too short for the lock. The flint hits the frizzen about two thirds down the face. If I put the flint bevel down it will strike a little higher, but seems to be even worse on the flint. It is shooting great but I need a truck load of flints!
Old Charlie

I got the GPR out and changed the touch hole liner to one made by RMC. It has the allen wrench fitting, which acts like a cone. It made the ignition much faster! How ever it is still a rock crusher! The cock seems to be too short for the lock. The flint hits the frizzen about two thirds down the face. If I put the flint bevel down it will strike a little higher, but seems to be even worse on the flint. It is shooting great but I need a truck load of flints!
Old Charlie

TC's flint locks had that problem until they redesigned the hammer...the new hammer is much taller and the flints strike much higher and at a slightly downward angle...no more eating flints...average 40-60 shots on a 3/4" black english flint

I'm having the same problems with my GPR flints. Rock crusher...and 2/3 the way down.

I have ordered some new flints, 7/8 X 3/4. (Rather than 3/4 square.) We'll see how that works. :hmm:

I'm having the same problems with my GPR flints. Rock crusher...and 2/3 the way down.

I have ordered some new flints, 7/8 X 3/4. (Rather than 3/4 square.) We'll see how that works. :hmm:

Well, the problem is that by hitting down so low towards the frizzen pivot point, the leverage is lost to easily flip the frizzen open.

The flint snmashes into much more resistance down that low as the frizzen doesn't want to open easily, and the flints break, have very short lives, etc.

The flints have to hit much further up on the frizzen where the frizzen will tip open easily with just a little effort...not sure changing flint size is going to help

I have to shoot them bevel down in mine too, but I haven't had a problem with it eating rocks. I don't get 100 shots per flint... but I don't get 10 either. It's somewhere in the middle. How many shots are you getting? Seems with mine I can get 10-15 before I have to touch up the edge, then I can get another 10, touch up the edge, etc.

Charlie on my Trade Rifle I get about the same number of shots per flint except when I use an agate. For some reason they seem to last longer for me. On my T/C Hawkins I can stretch a flint to almost 35-40 shots.

I will say that the ignition of the Trade Rifle is fast and smooth...

The ignition on my GPR is very fast also since I changed the vent liner. I guess the TVM Lancaster I just got has spoiled me. That thing gets at least 50 shots per flint!
Old Charlie

So the GPR flintlock is at fault. Now the question is how to fix the problem.

Does anyone have an idea to which brand/model of lock that would fit a GPR, without alteration?

In he mean time I'm waiting for my 7/8" flints. I'll let you know how they work.

Track of the Wolf sells the L&R RPL line of replacement locks, one of which fits the GPR. This is probably your best bet. It is a much higher quality lock than the one that came on the gun and should give years of reliable service.

Old Charlie:

Did the RMC liner require tapping or was it a direct replacement? I'm new to flint shooting & have a GPHunter as well as a TC Firestorm. Vent hole is HUGE on the TC and because of that I believe the ignition is really reliable. I would like a similar one for the GPH. Zonie suggested reaming out the origional one but I'm a little reluctant.....(Its my kind of luck that I would mess something up - even something as simple as that). Please tell...

BobW

BobW, to add to what Old Charlie said, the RMC vent liner really improved the ingnition time on my GPR. It is a direct replacement of the origional vent liner, no tapping. Come to think of it :hmm:, my GPR ate up flints when I got it new. Now it is much better, 50 shots per flint with minimal knapping(Black English Flints). I don't know if the frizzen just wore in or I started doing things better.

Okay, so where can I get them (RMC replacement liners)?

BobW

If it's a 1/4 x 28 threads, you can use the new ones from TC...ignition is unbelieveably fast....075" hole with a large cone effect inside and out

Track of the Wolf sells the L&R RPL line of replacement locks, one of which fits the GPR. This is probably your best bet. It is a much higher quality lock than the one that came on the gun and should give years of reliable service.

I put an RPL lock on my GPR & I am very happy with it.
It has a bigger frizen, & of coarse holds a bigger flint,
which means alot more sparks are created. I hogged the
original flash hole out to 5/64". It's also a good looking
lock, and IMHO, is a very well built unit. I don't have
the mis-fires like I used to have either ! :front:

That ^ is just the question I was going to ask. If I bought the L&R would I get great results. Thanks for all the help.

Track of the Wolf sells the L&R RPL line of replacement locks, one of which fits the GPR.

Does anyone know if it's feasible to use one of these locks, and a flint replacement barrel, to convert a percussion GPR to a flint GPR?

Back