• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR Accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Powerkicker said:
For those struggling with the front sight, try painting it white. It has made the sight picture pretty nice.

Instead of painting it white, try an office product called "white out". It makes a bright flat white finish that is easy to see and wipes off with a cloth if you don't like it. Keep yer powder dry.............robin :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Deputy Dog said:
Instead of painting it white, try an office product called "white out". It makes a bright flat white finish that is easy to see and wipes off with a cloth if you don't like it.

Same here. A tiny bottle of White Out lives in each of my shooting bags.

I tried using Whit-Out to correct some of my misspellings once.

It took me several days to get that damn stuff off of my monitors screen.

:grin:

On a serious side, it does make a really good high-light on the rear of a front sight.
It doesn't wipe off easily but with a little scrubbing it will come off if you ever want to remove it.

Next question: where does one say "uncle" with too tight a fit for the ball? The thicker patches helped accuracy but I broke my short starter and both the ball and my hands are getting mauled ramming the ball home. Thanks!

Certainly too tight for my tastes! I stop short of hand-hurt tightness, but I know folks who go so far as using mallets. Not me!

Another thing that hasn't really been mention is the stock triggers that are on your GPR.

While the front trigger unset was bearable, the set trigger on mine dam near need a freight train to pull!

Had heard from other's here on the forum who had replaced their stock triggers with Davis Deerslayer triggers.

It will make a significant difference in your overall accuracy with your GPR. I know it did for me and it was the best $50 I ever spent. Was well worth every penny!
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/300869/post/1578848/hl//fromsearch/1/

Respectfully, Cowboy :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cowboy said:
Another thing that hasn't really been mention is the stock triggers that are on your GPR.

While the front trigger unset was bearable, the set trigger on mine dam near need a freight train to pull!

I guess I've been lucky. All of my GPRs have great triggers.

Needing a hammer to reload during a hunt doesn't seem too practical. I re-measured the patches I was using last and found them to be much thicker than I thought...must have been trying to use the micrometer without my glasses..

I'm still considering peep sights even though I don't have much experience with them except for a Springfield 03 I had many years ago. Do you find them to work well in flat/low light conditions....Like Fairbanks AK in Dec-Jan.?

Louisk said:
I'm still considering peep sights even though I don't have much experience with them except for a Springfield 03 I had many years ago. Do you find them to work well in flat/low light conditions....Like Fairbanks AK in Dec-Jan.?

Provided they're on the tang or otherwise close to your eye, they're much easier to use than conventional sights. We don't have a whole lot less light than you in December, and after shooting mine, all my hunting buds have gone to them for winter hunts. Of course we're all geezers with failing eyes, but that goes even further to prove my point.

First thing in the AM and last in the evening I put a little dab of typing White Out on the rear surface of my front sight, too. Man, what a great setup along with the peep. Once the light intensifies, I can just flick it off with my thumbnail, then add more as light drops. I keep a bottle of the stuff in each of my bags at all times.

pab1 said:
Cowboy said:

If you ever get a chance to try one with the Davis triggers you might just change your mind.
The stock GPR triggers are not bad but the Davis is much better.

Jethro224 said:
pab1 said:
Cowboy said:

If you ever get a chance to try one with the Davis triggers you might just change your mind.
The stock GPR triggers are not bad but the Davis is much better.

I might try them at some point. I'm getting head shots on grouse and snowshoe hares with the current setup so I'm pretty content.

Thanks. Looks like Midsouth had the best prices of all the sellers I was browsing through online. I got antsy and ordered the sight from Buffalo Arms before I got your post. They seem like a reputable company, so hopefully I didn't err.

Good to know. Thanks! If they were really slow on filling out orders I didn't want to hear about it. We're on borrowed time for long shooting sessions and fiddling with sights to be comfortable.

Latest posts

Back