• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR flinter kit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntsman247

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey all, I am thinking about picking up a .54 GPR flinter kit, have a couple questions before I make the call though. How was the initial fitment of parts, is the barrel in the white, how about the factory supplied sights, lock function well? While I am here might as well ask what is the manufacturers max load and with FF or FFF? How did it perform for you once completed, were you satisfied overall? Any help with these questions will be greatly appreciated, anything additional would be welcome. Big Thanks in advance.

Mine just arrived in the mail.

I'll give the best answers based on my limited knowledge of guns.

How well do the parts fit:
Looks OK except for the butt plate, it came pre-attached, but the suckers misaligned so it's short wood on one corner. It looks like I should be able to take it off, fill the screw holes with wood putty, realign and redrill and be good to go though.
I haven't assembled it yet so can't verify everything will be perfect.

Maximum load:
It comes with a Investarms booklet that says maximum load for patched ball is 100 grains 2fg, or 80 grains 3fg, and a Lyman booklet that says 120 grains 2fg, or 100 grains 3fg, so take your pick.

Barrel in white?
It has not been blued or browned, it's a well oiled light grey.

Can't answer anything else until I build it though.

BigDave

My wife bought me a .54 GPR flint kit last year. All the metal was in the white, except the lock (color case hardened) and the trigger group (blue/black). This gives you the option to blue or brown the metal. I browned everything with LMF from Track of the Wolf, except the screw heads and sights. I blued them for contrast. I used the primitive rear sight that came with it. This sight fits rather loose. Had to peen the dove tail on the bottom of the sight to get a tight fit. The stock was well inletted, but took a lot of sanding. It had some nice grains and a beautiful color. I used no stain. Just rubbed in eight coats of boiled linseed oil. Lock works great. Uses 3/4 inch flints. Had to drill the vent liner to 5/64" and coned it for better ignition. Favorite load is 80 grains of FFg Goex, .530 ball and pillow ticking with moose milk. One ragged hole at 50 yards. 90 grains gave me a three shot group of 3/4 inch at 100 yards. The rifle will do it, if we do our part. Not sure about max loads, but these loads work for me. If I remember right, the max load info comes with the kit. You made an excellent choice. Your going to enjoy building this kit, but enjot shooting it more. Just remember to take your time. If you have any question, just ask. Enjoy :thumbsup: .

Thanks for the feedback cowpoke, I think I just might have to order the kit. Just out of curiosity how did the spent patches look, did they come out intact? I'll keep you informed of my progress once I get things together. Thanks

The patches came out with some razor like cuts. The lands have sharp edges in a new rifle. After a few hundred rounds I still get a very minor cut on my patches, but a lot better than it was. It should disappear after another hundred rounds or so. Just part of breaking in a new barrel. It was very accurate from the first shot. A lot of us on this forum have built this kit, so if you get stuck, just ask. Someone will speak up. Just remember, take your time and you'll end up with a rifle to be proud of (and fun to shoot) :thumbsup: .

Back