• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stacks

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Thinking about buying the GPR .50 flintlock kit from midsouth shooting supply. selling for $300.00, looks like a good buy. Any comments would be appreciated....

These are nice kits with a strong HC factor, they are quailty and go together well, it is one of the best production kits available IMHO

I have one I bought 4 or 5 years ago in .54cal.I have been happy with how it shoots and looks. It came from Mid-South, but at that time it was $250. with shipping. They have gone up in $ just like everthing else. Mine was well worth the cost to me. I'am sure you will be happy with one. .50 or .54 are a good thing Mark/wi

.My wife got me a .54 GPR flint kit this last Christmas. This was my first kit. It went together pretty easy. A lot of sanding on the stock, but well worth it. I browned it with LMF from Track of the Wolf. Very easy to do and good results. If you have any problems just ask. A lot of us have built this kit and will offer advise. There are a lot of posts in the forum on this subject. Lyman Customer Service is very friendly and helpful. I think you made a good choice. Happy building :thumbsup:

I just built a GPR flinter in .54 from Midsouth this past Christmas.
It was not hard and was a lot of fun.

HD

My wife got one for my B-day went together well. I used scrapers saves alot of time sanding and makes it easier to shape. F.K.

Got the kit today, talk about fast delivery....I heard alot about the rust brown barrell treatment, any suggestions where I should go with this project? Also, the wood looks great, I've heard of linseed oil treatments???

Have been shooting BP for about 40 yrs, and bought my first flinter a few months back. It was in kit form, a Lyman GPR 54. Excellent gun and easy to assemble. Great shooter, but will be a lot better, once I get the kinks ironed out of it. I drilled the TH out 5/64 and coned the outside and it helped to eliminate a lot of flash in the pans. The rifle is fine, but I am the one who needs the practice. I am continuing to work on it and improve.

Congrats on your kit. I used Laurel Mountain Forge Barrel Brown & Degreaser from Track of the Wolf. Here's the link:[url] http://www.trackofthewolf.com...ATID=5&SUBID=65&STYLEID=221&PARTNUM=LMF-BROWN[/url] . It's very easy to use. My stock was a very nice piece of walnut, so I did not stain it. After final shaping and sanding, I applied 8 coats of linseed oil. Gave it a nice warm color, which seems to flow into the brown metal. There is a lot of good advise on this kit in this forum. Seems to be one of the most popular kit. When you are done building, then comes tweeking the lock. A lot of post on that in here also. If you get stuck, just ask. Many in here can give great advise. When you are done, you'll have a straight shooting, reliable rifle that will last a life time :thumbsup: .

Last edited by a moderator:
What I did with mine was to get a White lightning vent liner 3/8 and install kit about $15.00 TOTW. I shot 40 rounds on Sat amd no flash in the pans went off every time. My 2 cents F.K.

Back