• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR opinion on buying

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

A few weeks ago I quickly looked a Lyman GPR .54 that was for sale at a small gun shop.

As the days have gone by, I keep thinking about it....
It's a .54 in what appeared to me as excellent condition. I think it is not a kit. I plan on going back soon and examining closer.

My question is do you think $325 is a decent price to pay?

I see'em LISTED on gunbroker for 500 bucks or more but, ones that actually get bids are usually quite a bit more reasonably priced.

Be sure to check out the barrel.

This is best done by using a .54 caliber cleaning jag and a cleaning patch lightly lubricated with gun oil.

You'r looking not only for rust on the patch but the feel of the patch/jag as it goes down the bore.

If the force needed to run the patched jag down the bore is uniform and the removed patch doesn't show a lot of rust the barrel is probably good.

If there is the feeling of a sudden "easy to push" followed by a return to the former force, the barrel is damaged and the gun should be put back on the rack.

I am looking for the same rifle. SO far I have found them to be a lot more expensive.$400 and up!

I have done alot of research here on the forum on the GPR and price wise that sounds pretty good. I have 3 T/C's and want to go with the GPR.

Good luck

Hard to go wrong with a GPR. I have two .50 calibre barrels and a .54 for mine. Mostly use the .54. It is my "go to" rifle when muzzle loader hunting.

Only production rifle I've found I like better is my early Hatfield, other than that, I do like my GPR overall my others. Honestly it's probably the best value in its price range. In my experience I'd buy the GPR kit and build it, you'll end up wanting to do custom builds as even production guns leave allot to be desired. You'll have a good handle on the basics and be able to tackle a real gem and have something to be truly proud of!

I have a GPR .50 that I upgraded with a Green Mountain barrel. What brand of lock did you use for a replacement and where did you get it? Thanks.

Purchased the lock from L&R Lock company. Great people to deal with. They make both flint and percussion replacement locks for the GPR. Mine again is a flinter and don't be fooled into thinking it's a drop in replacement. It will require inleting of the existing lock mortise for a proper fit. I did have to remove a great deal of wood to allow ample space for the tumbler and leaf spring. However, the work is very well worth the efforts. I can't stress how much of an improvement this has been for my rifle over the production lock. I have two caplock guns, one a tc renegade and the other a Lyman deerstalker. Being they both are not flintlock, honestly I probably will never upgrade them due to the fact they work very reliably as is. A production flintlock lock is just that... Definitely not a well crafted piece like a replacement.

Well here it is.

Got it for $300.

1995 dob

I think somewhere along the line someone browned all the metal except the lock. I assume these came blued??

Bore looks like new. I will post a better pic once I get it cleaned up.

hawkin_zps1e72494b.jpg

BE-E-A-UTIFUL!!! :thumbsup: :hatsoff: Lovely looking rifle and the wood is gorgeous! Make sure that bore is smooth as a babys rear. Both of my Lymans have needed touched up with a scotchbrite pad to smooth things out.

Thanks Crewdawg

As Zonie advised, I ran a lightly oiled patch down the bore and is was very smooth and consistent. Just the slightest hint of dirt on the patch.

Oh yeah, they tossed in a tin of caps too.

I will examine everything much closer now that I have it home.

Back