• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR opinion on buying

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the looks of the rifle, somone who owned this previously took care of it for sure! They probably went ahead and saved you some work! :thumbsup:

Is it just the picture, or is the forward eustachian not level?

Thanks,
Here it is cleaned up.

Hopefully I can report how it shoots this weekend.

photo7_zpsd2027305.jpg

photo4_zps1f56f387.jpg

photo5_zpsad25ffe6.jpg

photo6_zps7d17afdd.jpg

photo8_zps21cb9a51.jpg

photo1_zps6d9a3a68.jpg

photo2_zpsb29fa98e.jpg

photo3_zps66e8b0a9.jpg

:thumbsup:
My .54 GPR is the only caplock I still shoot. I like that rifle.

A few tips;
1. Drill and pin the ramrod ends! They WILL pull off if you don't.
2. The fixed primitive rear sight gives a much better sight picture than the adjustable one and won't move around due to the spring underneath. You will need to either shim the fixed sight or slightly peen the dovetail to get a proper tight fit.
3. The only upgrade to consider would be the Davis Deerslayer triggers made for the T/C rifles. They are a drop in replacement and a big improvement.

Enjoy your "new" rifle.

Looks great. You made a good buy!

I think it was a kit gun. The factory usually wipes out the nice wood grain with very dark stain.

Looks amazing! That honestly looks like a kit built GPR, not a production version. Or someone could have re-finished and sanded the lock panels and cheek piece. Very nice score! :hatsoff:

I was just going on what the shop owner said.

He thought it was put together too nice to be a kit.

Maybe I got lucky and the builder knew his stuff.

Can you tell from serial number if it is a kit?

It's a kit built GPR, someone did a good job though! Kits guns with good work, will outshine a production gun IMO. Lock panels look a little rounded as does the cheek piece. I'm in love with the furniture! Beautiful grain patterns.

Nice rifle. :thumbsup:

By all means, check to see if there is any trace of cross pins going thru the ends of the metal ram rod tips and thru the wood.
Factories don't bother to pin the ends onto the wood and they have a bad habit of pulling off when your using it.

If your not familiar with pinning the metal ends of the ramrod in place check out my sketch.

The pinning can be done with a short piece of steel or brass 1/16" wire/rod (I like brass, available from my ACE hardware store), a 1/16" drill bit, a pocket knife, a flat file and a small hammer. A 2 penny nail is also handy.

To install the pins, use the hammer and nail to make an indentation in the end about 1/8" from where the metal starts and the wood seems to end.

Using the 1/16" drill bit and the indentation, drill a hole completely thru the brass and wood.

Use your pocket knife, stuck into both ends of the hole to make a countersink by rotating the knife blade.

Cut off a length of wire about 1/16" longer than the diameter of the ramrod end and stick it thru the newly made hole.

Laying the rod on a hard surface so one end of the wire is resting on it, lightly hammer the upper end of the pin, swelling it into the countersunk hole.
Now, turn the rod 180 degrees and flaten the other end of the pin.

Use your file to remove any pin material that is sticking out above the outside of the metal end.

Now, the end is pinned and you have done your first gunsmithing job. That always makes a new gun feel more like it's yours. :)

Thanks, They are now pinned.

They were put on with glue that over the last 20 years shrunk a little and I could actually screw the tips on and off the rod. I can see how these would come off in the barrel.

Just got back from sighting in the GPR and so far so good. Spent too much time trying to sight in my SMR .36cal flintlock and ended up running out of time with the .54 and only had a chance to take 5 shots.

To my relief everything went great and it looks like it might shoot decently. As you can see, after each shot I raise the sight a hair. My point of aim was center of the top target sticker.

The distance was only 25 yards.

gpr54sightin_zpsca398fe7.jpg

Next time I what to bring some different size patches and spend more time finding out what it likes.

Thanks for all the tips.

Latest posts

Back