• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR used

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to get morbid, in fact it's an upper when you've done it. I'd ask him if there was any hunt he always wished he'd made with it but never managed. If so, it would mean a lot to him if you could do it yourself with the gun. The hunt and the gun will mean even more to you once he's gone.

A few years back I helped a friend through his last painful year before he moved on into the great beyond. I'm looking now at his "elk" rifle, which I got out of his estate. He never managed to take it on a hunt, but dreamed of it often. Sitting next to it now is the recovered bullet and picture of the elk I took with it in his name. Priceless.

His son is a dipstick beyond redemption, but I've got my eye on his young grandson. If he measures up to his granddad, someday I'll give him the rifle to keep in the family and tell him it's time for him to recover his own bullet and take a picture. If he doesn't measure up, I got a grandkid of my own that will need to learn about the tradition. Like I said, priceless.

I don't know how old you are but those sights being moved forward will help if your vision starts getting older. I built a Tip Curtis kit last year and he suggested moving the sight forward, man what a difference...

:) WOW....It was dead on at 13 yards with my first shot dead center. At 100 yards I was grouped in about a 10"circle (3 shot group). I was using Pioneer FFFG powder, 60 grains, .020 cabelas prelubed patch which took ALL my strength to seat at the muzzle and was too tight to ram home with a plastic ram rod. It was like a noodle! I went to DIXONS in PA and got a wood replacement rod for 8 bucks. I also picked up Triple seven in FFG. I am now going to try that powder to see if my groups improve. I doubt it because I think the group is ME. Its hard to see at 100 Yards! The smallest deviation will throw the group. My son did about the same with his Cabelas Hawken same load,.018 patches,1 in 48 twist. His group was 3 in a 12 inch circle at 100 yards!
I am very happy I bought this rifle! I did manage to break the screw that goes in the side of the breech plug...I think it's a clean out plug screw. It was stuck tight and one side of the screw head snaped when I tried to turn it. Oh well. Guess I wont be using that! Probably a PITA to drill out and replace. I use Never sieze on the nipple threads and dan's clean out plug threads. I think on mine it was too little too late. The sights are "Just right" for me with the forward sight being relocated 4 inches forward in a new dove tail slot. I'd go shootin today but it's 10 degrees and windy....comon spring!
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions...me and Dan have been out 3 times now and enjoying ourselves! Its been a great way to get him away from the video games and tv.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it.

Lyman's new cleanout screws take an allen wrench. If you can get the old one out the new ones are a lot easier to deal with. I replaced all of the slotted ones on my rifles and pistol with the new ones.

Good luck with the 777. Sometimes it is troublesome in sidelocks.

Good'ole black powder is the best bet.

Have fun! That's the key.

HD

Congratulations all around!

I don't use T7 in my Lyman, but it's first choice for my hunting pard in his GPR 54. He tried both 2f and 3f, and never finished the can of 2f, the 3f worked out so much better. His favorite charge is 80 grains.

Redneckbling, gee, you don't sound excited at all! :grin:
Kinda like the old saying, "most fun you can have legally"! :rotf: :rotf:
Make your changes in small increments and change only one thing at a time and you will be able to tell alot more about consistant accuracy.
On the screw it can be got out and it would be to your advantage if you can get it out as it will allow access to clean the powder channel.
Remember, "righty tighty and lefty loosey"! Depending on exactly how it broke off is going to determine how hard it is to get out. If you can catch a hold of the screw body with a carburetor pick or something similar you may be able to heat the drum, bump the pick slowly and back out the body of the screw. If you don't feel qualified for tackling this a machine shop can drill and run an easy out to get it out.
I allways use high quality antiseize on the nipple threads as well as the threads of the clean out screw after cleaning. That way there is a good coat on the threads when I am shooting!
Good luck too you and Oh, that itch you got is where the bug bit you!!!!!!! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Back