• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grease hole

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banjoman

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Added a grease hole to the .45 percussion rifle. Southern mountain rifles from East Tennessee and western North Carolina sometimes had these. We’ll see how it works.
C09324B5-3B5F-4D14-BFC4-DC58986D1DAB.jpeg

I got the idea from this,

D569D9CA-6037-4219-A51C-E4716098DF1A.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh, I’ll definitely be using it! Hopefully soon. The grease I put in it is a mixture of beeswax and olive oil and is about the consistency of shoe polish. It’s actually yellow but looks white in the picture.

I definitely like the way it looks. I always thought those were cool and interesting, a real southern mountain kind of thing. My grease is more of a stiff paste so I think it will be fine. Most of my shooting and hunting is in the fall and winter anyway so melting probably won’t be a concern.

I had planned to add one to my SMR but held off as I wasn't sure just how big to make it and just called the project done so I could get to the Finishing. What diameter hole did you do. Your thread has made me want to complete my original plan for this gun. Thanks for posting yours.

I had planned to add one to my SMR but held off as I wasn't sure just how big to make it and just called the project done so I could get to the Finishing. What diameter hole did you do. Your thread has made me want to complete my original plan for this gun. Thanks for posting yours.
I used a 1” hole saw. Drilled down about 1/4” then chiseled out the center. Don’t know if this is how it was done back in the 19th century, but it worked for me.
C4BB8AF6-8A81-4FC2-8C55-D4D83C9ED1F1.jpeg

I used the hole saw because I couldn’t find any of my Forstner bits bigger than 1/2”. Things like that have a way of disappearing around here.

Nice gun by the way. What is it?

Back