• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Great Day to All

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint54

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings to everyone, I'm impressed with what I have found here and believe that I may be around a while. Although my intrests fall anywhere within the shooting sports, I have been working over the past 20+ years at improving my frontstuffer smithing abilities. I am getting very close to leaving anything that resembles a kit rifle in the dust and will be taking the full plunge to build a full custom flinter.

I live in the very NE of NC just to the south of Norfolk, VA area in Elizabeth City. One of my favorite passtimes is visiting the Gunsmith Shop at Colonial Williamsburg and learning a few tricks here and there. The style I wish to replicate is the upper VA area around Fredrick and the one Sunsmith that I have decided on basing my rifle on is "Simon Lauck" and also his sons. They are fairly well represented in, "Gunsmiths of Virginia" by James Biser Whisker. I feel confident that their style of insised carving and their metal work is within my abilities, but if anyone out there may have any other pictures or information on this family of early gunsmiths, I would greatly appreciate possible copies of the information or what books I can obtain to assist me in this project.

One note in this; It appears that "Simon Lauck Sr." while a young man at the time was involved in the Revolution near Boston and for a while after this period paid taxes in Lebanon, PA. My Father-In-Law was born and raised in this same town so Lauck has a bit of sentimental meaning as Dad passed away this past July. I plan on dedicating this project in him memory.

Well thanks for letting me spout a bit and I hope to get to know a few of you in the future. God Bless Us One and All. Flint54

Welcome to the best muzzleloading site on the net, hope you enjoy yourself! :thumbsup: :front:

Welcome Flint54, you have found a great forum with lots of friendly, knowlegable people-jump in when you can-your"little brother"-Flint50!! :front:

Flint54,
Welcome to the forum glad to have
you with us. Lots of friendly folks and a lot
of information :imo: to help you with your
projects. Hope you will join in and contribute
whenever you can.
again welcome and stay active
I am snake-eyes :) :thumbsup: :) :peace:

Back