• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Great-Grandpa's Shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Baron said:
#2 gun? Do you think that is what the big #1 on the rib denotes - #1 of a pair?

It probably is, they shot driven birds and they even had cased pairs of flinters so that your loader could pass you a fresh gun as soon as you'd emptied the one you had. IMHO, a large 1 or 2 almost certainly means a pair.

Chokes came a bit later, although there is an intriguing reference from Hawker who says the bore should flare a couple of thou at the end if you want tight patterns. He must have got this from Joe Manton and you have to wonder if he simply got it back to front :thumbsup:

On the topic of chokes, the two barrels measure differently at the muzzles (with a cheap tapered gauge). One measures about 0.75", the other about 0.73". If I am hearing correctly, choke was a rare thing in ther 1830's?

hello the only pratt info I could find I'll give to you here in hopes that it may lead you to something helpful . there was a Alvan Pratt 1835 t01868 born shearborn mass november 23 1790 eatablished general gunsmith shop at concord mass he made percussion match rifles . Elisha
Pratt 1847 to 1854 general gunsmith Marietta Ohio G D Pratt 1855 Attica N Y made percussion match rifles also. Henry Pratt 1832 to 1875 general gunsmith at Roxbury Mass . I don't know if any of this data will help but ya never know till ya try good luck in your search and I hope you can get to shoot it I've got a pedersoli 12 ga sxs and it's a real gas to shoot . always be careful

I have a shotgun that is similar to this and the lock has W E Harbold enraved on it. does anyone know who this was?

Latest posts

Back