• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Great results with wad under PRB....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbs

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Went to Jo Anns and bought some drill cloth, 12 oz cotton duck, and 10 oz bull denim to try out in my .58 Zouave carbine. It cuts all patches that mic out at .020 and under. I also cut down some of my 12 ga lubed wonder wads to about a diameter of .62 inch to put under the PRB. The wad results were nothing short of amazing for this gun. Normally, only 12 oz duck cloth that mics out at .025 will prevent cutting. I have to have a mallet to start the ball. With the heavy duck cloth, I shoot an average 30 yd group of 1 - 1.5 inches off the bench. In the thick woods of Mississippi I rarely have a shot more than 30 yds. My load was 90 gr ffg with a .562 RB and crisco lube. with the wonder wad and drill cloth patch (.020 in), the first two shots went through the same hole, with the third about 1/4 inch off center. The patches were uncut and clean except for the groove marks. Folks, This really works, and for the first time in 40 years I can take it to the range and not have to pound the ball.

I have a question about the lubed wad. When I hunt with the gun, I do not discharge it after a hunt unless it rains. Will the wad lube soak into the powder charge over time? Can I expect the same performance out of an un-lubed wad?

Thanks

It has never been a problem for me, I have left a .54 with a wonder lube wad over the powder and under the PRB for months, I don't think there is enough lube in the wad to affect the powder.

will5a1 said:
It has never been a problem for me, I have left a .54 with a wonder lube wad over the powder and under the PRB for months, I don't think there is enough lube in the wad to affect the powder.
What he said.

Wads are part of my go to and I have not had any issues with them.

I use wads almost all the time. They often help shot to shot consistency and occasionally increase velocity by a modest amount. I've used leather, home punched felt, lubed wads and sometimes hornet nest or toilet paper and they all work to one degree or another. As long as the lube has no water in the formula, it will not contaminate the powder or initiate any rusting.

I haven't had a problem with wads dampening the powder, but they don't seem that "wet".

I don't shoot a .58, but I "think" wonder wads should be available in that caliber or you could find a wad punch and make your own. Should be better than trying to make one from a larger wad. Have fun.

I use Eastern Maine Shooting Supplies lubed .58 felt wads in my Zouave when shooting rb. I also use .570 balls and .015 patches. Mine is fast twist 1 in 33". Accuracy is very good with light loads.

Latest posts

Back