• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Green Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Grubaugh

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Ed here.
Been watching this forum for a while now, thought it was about time I jumped in here and made myself known. I've been in muzzleloading for a lot of years now. Haven't gotten into buckskinning but I may yet. I've built a few modern rifles and a TC hawken kit but that's about the size of it. Very little flint shooting but I've got the hankering too. I'm in the process of building a .36 caliber now. Iron mounted tennessee, Douglas XX barrel, Jack Garner precarve,L&R Durrs Egg lock. Got the barrel breached, tennons in and the barrel down, ready to inlet the tang. Got two questions for now. first I used a lollypop tang, kinda wish I"d used a flared tang but I'll stick with what I got now. The end of the tang measures about 3/8 in. need to know what size screw to use, oval or flat head. Also should there a second screw closer to the breach. 2nd question, this precarve stock has been slabbed down to about 3/16 in. just forward of the lock, seems pretty thin to me, what about it? Guess that's all for now bent your ears long enough.
Thanks Ed

Hi, ED. Lots of good advise here! I'm sort of a newbie also, and like you am building a Tennessee rifle, only mine is a .50 with a Green Mountain barrel. I'm planning no butt plate, horn or bone on the comb and toe plates only, and the rest in iron trim. L&R Durs Egg lock, curly maple stock. I have all but a few parts to get her built. I'll be watching this thread also, as I'm sure a lot of the answers to your questions will answer some of my own. Welcome aboard!
Bryan

Latest posts

Back