• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Green Mountain Barrel fitting ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Sorry for all the questions...but I appreciate the responses...

Fitting a GM barrel into a lyman trade rifle...problem is it fit's too easy...no resistance and the wedge pin just slides in..& out...just drops in..

the stock barrel provides some resistance as you push down into the stock and the wedge pin stays...

any suggestions?

Glass bedding maybe? Or some tape in the chanel for a temp. solution? :hmm:

I'd go with glass bedding. Just make sure you've got a good release agent and get complete coverage.

petep said:
Sorry for all the questions...but I appreciate the responses...

Fitting a GM barrel into a lyman trade rifle...problem is it fit's too easy...no resistance and the wedge pin just slides in..& out...just drops in..

the stock barrel provides some resistance as you push down into the stock and the wedge pin stays...

any suggestions?
I've had that a couple times with drop-in GMs for TC stocks...on the TC drop ins, the wedge pin escutcheon is not dove tailed onto the bottom of the barrels...it's screwed on with 2 screws into drilled & tapped holes...and is a very thivck piece of metal.

In two cases in hung down so low it bound up the ramrod...used a belt sander to remove 3/16" off the bottom of the escutcheon...they are very thick to begin with;

Then had one GM barrel that dropped in and the wedge pin was loose...I laid the wedge pin across the open saws of a vice and with hammer & punch, gently tapped it in it's middle, putting a slight 'bow' in it...cinched the barrel down fine after that...

Roundball nailed it.
Just bend the lug as he said. I use a brass punch or screwdriver shaft. Lay it flat on the lug and roll it as you gently tap with a hammer. Bend the lug in a little at a time until your wedge goes in snug.
I have a Lyman GPR with three different barrels. They all had to be adjusted to fit.

HD

ok - I'm new at muzzleloading but I thought I'd share what I learned. I'll do my best to get the terminology correct...just want to give back a little for all the help I've rec'd here. I apologize for any misuse of words & the length of the post.

1. It seemed that placing a small folded patch or piece of foam under the barrel, near the breech end provided enough lift/resistance so that I'd have to push down on the barrel slightly to get the wedge pin in, and it would stay...this worked, but I anticipate using the stock barrel sometimes for round balls and I just wasn't happy not knowing exactly what the cause was...

2. I do not have (yet) and extra wedge pin - and I did not want to start bending the one I have, since it works fine with the stock barrel....and I really wanted to eliminate the loose fit.

So....

3. I removed the tang and took time to really understand what the difference was between the green mountain barrel and the stock lyman barrel. It was immediately clear why the green mointain barrel would just drop into the stock with no resistance whatsoever.

On the stock lyman barrel the hooked breech fits the tang almost perfect..once it's in, the hook sits immediately behind the tang...no play...and when the barrel is flush with the tang, the barrel is angled up slightly, relative to the stock...thus, some pressure must be applied to the barrel to get it to line up with the wedge. I noticed it actally puts some lifting pressure on the back of the tang, which would normally be screwed in the stock.

But the GM barrel had a good 1/8 play between the hook and the tang AND there is space between the top of the hook and the tang...so when the barrel breech hook is installed into the tang, there is enough play, so there is no resistance - barrel just falls into place.

I ended up heating the hooked breech with a MAPP torch and slowly hammering it back towards the barrel...almost bending it in...and filing the top of the hook, and then bending it a bit more...essentially reducing the space between the barrel breech and base of the hook, to match the width of the tang.

did this till when installed in the tang (which I had to remove initially to keep measuring), fit as the stock barrel did...no play back and forth.

put back the tang, and the new barrel fits in like the lyman stock barrel now...a bit of pressure needed to seat the barrel in the stock, and enough "up pressure" by the barrel to hold the pin in.

what was frustrating is there is so much play in the GM breech hook to tang fit...and the green mountain barrel has a very narrow hook compared to the lyman hook....also quite a bit thicker which required filing on each side to even get it in the tang. But the thin hook on the gm barrel means you do not have much material to work with as you are bending it back towards the barrel...

I've used drop in barrels before on rifles & pistols that say you must do some fitting...but these barrels are meant to fit a variety of rifles...but the GM manual is real clear about not doing anything to the barrel at all as it is made to drop in....but right away I could see visual differences between the breech hooks of the two barrels. The specs are way off.

I'm glad I got the fix done, but if the GM barrel for the trade rifle requires this much tweaking, as the specs are so off, they really should state what you should do...

It sounds like you got it fixed up real good. It shouldn't have taken so much work in my opinion.
I don't know much about GM barrels but I remember I was thinking about getting one a while back and didn't because they said they were made to drop into T/C rifles but could be made to fit other similar rifles.
I assume they still haven't really made a barrel specifically for Lyman rifles.
Good luck with your rifle.

HD

Huntin Dawg said:
I assume they still haven't really made a barrel specifically for Lyman rifles.
Good luck with your rifle.

HD

According to Track of the Wolf they do.

Here is the link to Green Mountain Interchangable barrels for Lyman Great Plains. I bought one for (Investarms) Hawkens a year ago. The only modification was cutting 3/8" off the end of the under rib where it meets the stock. 30 seconds with a dremil. Fit right on after that.

forgot that - I had to make the rib cut too...but that was easy...

and you are right...they do advertise that it is a drop in for the lyman trade rifle...

still worked out I suppose and now I have a 1-28" twist barrel...

Latest posts

Back