• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Green Mountain drop in barrel vs Lyman great plains rifle barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John W Hughes

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I currently own a T/C Hawken with a.54 caliber Green Mountain drop in barrel with a 1:70 twist. I purchased the GM barrel last year from Tip Curtis and have about 80 balls thru it and happy with the groups.

Some one in town is selling his Lyman Great Plains rifle .54 cal 1:60 twist and I am considering buying it. Then later sell the T/C Hawken with the Green Mountain barrel.

My question: Is one barrel better than the other in requards to accuracy? Am I better keeping the T/C Hawken?

I am considering the switch because I like the looks of the GPR vs the T/C Hawken.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Personal opinion,
6 of one, half dozen of the other.
Both are fine barrels and you won't be harming your shooting at all by going with the GPR slow twist.

one will shoot as good as the other. on one hand, if ya got somethin' that works why mess with it? on the other hand, if ya like the Great Plains that much better ya can likely recoup the money spent on it by sellin' the T/C-Green Mountain.

my opinion & welcome to it, bubba.

I'd go for the GPR because they fit me better than the TC. I own and shoot both, but the GPR just suits my bod better. Accuracy is comparable. The high comb on the TC for scope alignment really doesn't do well with low sights and prominent cheek bones.

I prefer the GPR, but if you buy one make sure you get the primitive (fixed) rear sight, on the three GPR's I've owned the adjustable rear sights have been worthless.

Thanks for everyone's replies. Turns out the GPR is sold so I waited to long to pull the trigger. :doh:

I use the T/C Hawken for both hunting and target practice.

The concern I have is the accuracy that I currently have. I use Dutch Schoultz Black powder rifle accuracy system and I have really good accuracy on his 3 inch targets.

Took a little while to get there and I am worried that the GPR rifle barrel wouldn't be up to the task.

However after doing a search here on the forum and the responses I have received, its something I don't have to worry about.

I have learned to deal with the cheek slapping and
that was a problem in the beginning.

Thanks again for all the quick replies.

will5a1 said:
I prefer the GPR, but if you buy one make sure you get the primitive (fixed) rear sight, on the three GPR's I've owned the adjustable rear sights have been worthless.

Yo Will,
What did the adjustable sights do to you?

Failed to hold zero and the adjustments were imprecise, to say the least, with goofy unexpected windage changes when changing elevation and vice versa. The .54 GPR I am currently hunting with, with the fixed rear sight, will shoot cloverleafs at 50 yards off the bench, I am very happy with it.

I as well have his shooting system and it's excellent. My GPR with the buckhorn rear sight is a tack driver. Rifle is far more accurate than I ever will be. It certainly isn't light, but aims well and is very well made for a production gun, minus the lock which always gets upgraded on my production guns. Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another GPR, prices are getting higher it seems though, got mine for $300.00 used, but never fired on gunbroker a few years back. Snag one if you can and keep the TC as bpd303 mentioned, got their renegade and love it just as much!

I have TCs (four of them) all sidelocks. I own one Lyman GPR with both barrels the 1 in 36 twist and the 1 in 60 twist. The barrel I shoot almost exclusively is the 1-60 for RB. Very accurate and points very well for a long gun. I have cheek slapping from my TCs, but have never experienced it ever with Lyman GPR and that is another reason I shoot it all the time over the others. I have some new Pedersoli rifles and will be trying them out, but for comfort and accuracy the Lyman is so easy and fits so well.

I much prefer the TC's. No cheek slapping here. GM barrels shoot very well. Never been impressed with the Lyman. If I deceid to get a gun other than another tC, it will be a custom rifle.

No production gun IMO rivals a custom built piece. That's why I'm starting my first build because I got tired of everything lacking in a mass produced gun and decided to really get involved, and actually create a rifle that's exclusive to my own taste and wants. I love all my production guns, I've put work in to each one, tailored all to function and perform extremely well. Honestly with all the time spent, I could have built numerous rifles! :doh:

Thanks again for all of the replies. I am still on the hunt for a .54 GPR. I will have to sell something as I already have 3 T/C's along with 3 CF rifles.

I started with the .50 cal T/C scout in late 1997 and then moved into a .54 Renegade and then the .54 T/C Hawken.

I went with the Green Mountain drop in barrel in 2013 when I decided I wanted to shoot mostly PRB's, and I am happy I did. A lot cheaper way to shoot vs conical's and I am very happy with the accuracy.

I was able to harvest a 9 point buck during our muzzleloader season. Only saw does during the rifle season.

GPR's are dime a dozen. GM barrels are no more. You can always pick up a GPR. If you sell your GM barreled T/C, chances are you will never be able to replace it.

I have 4 GM barrels, they all shoot great. No way would I get rid of one to get a GPR. Get a GPR and keep the GM if you are happy with it.

You're not comparing a factory TC, to a GPR. With the GM barrel, that's a game changer. I have the same GM barrel and shoot a very tight ball/patch, combination and I doubt if any gun, in that price range, will shoot any better. I put the TC sights and rod thimbles on the GM barrel and it looks like it came on the gun. I might would trade a factory TC, but not that one.

Back