• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Greetings from Gettysburg

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been pretty quiet around here since the Reb army moved off, but it's still a good idea to keep your powder dry, your caps handy and your bayonet sharp. Been into shooting black powder for several years since my first Traditions Kentucky rifle kit in 2000. Presently playing with a Chiappa built Enfield 1858 2-band rifle and a Traditions Pennsylvania flinter. Took a T/C Firestorm out deer hunting last fall and decided to do it the right way with the flint PA rifle. NRA qualified ML instructor and enjoy showing people how to make the old Civil War era rifles go boom.

Welcome to the addiction! Just keep an eye out, us folks down here still hiding our Confederate money! :wink: Been in several groups through the years and introducing folks to muzzleloading is a hoot. Am fortunate to participate in a function twice yearly introducing high school kids to shooting sports...most all of them. Old pal and I do muzzleloaders and it is a trip (used in sentence so the youngsters can visualize the 60's :haha:) Such a pleasure and such interesting reactions by boys and girls. have noticed girls generally out shoot the boys, really hope it's cause they listen and have less bad habits to overcome. :doh:

Welcome BlackJack! I went to school at the College there. Glad to have you here!

Welcome from Arkansas! You're right, Gen. Lee & Co. should have marched straight into Washington D.C. and got the guy that started the fight. The North was too strong in Artillery at Gettysburg to cross a field against on foot. Glad we're all friends now! :shocked2: :hatsoff: Tree.

Hey There!
I live a few south of Wrightsville where the Union chicken craps skeedaddled & burned the bridge to keep the rebs on the west shore of the Susq. Had the rebs moved just a mite faster, We'd be speaking with a drawl today.

Hey Wes, thanks for the welcome. I find it very hard to get females of any description to come out for muzzle loading. Seems to be something intimidating about it. Most women do tend to shoot as well as or better than men at first and definitely take instruction better.

Our event is state sponsored and is a day off school for those who attend...now there's a plan! Though designed for 4-H/FFA students, looks like most south Texas schools treat it as a "ya'll come ahead on" type of deal. Obviously, some are there just to get the day off but most seem to get into the hang of things pretty quickly, especially when we show them fired balls we've dug out of the dirt backstop. Learned two things: (1)Girls out shoot boys about 5 to 1.
(2) The smaller the girl, the more she wants to shoot. :wink: :haha:

Welcome!

Can we presume that since you've escaped the South you've also abandoned their misconceptions about "the peculiar institution," by which I obviously mean eating grits?

We not only ship in our yearly supply of grits, Virginia smoked ham and peanuts, but we consume them with great gusto on Lee-Jackson day and Confederate Memorial Day, not to mention traveling UP the valley to New Market for the annual commemoration of that great victory by the VMI Cadet Corps. (BTW, love your photoshop of that great Virginian General.)

My family were friends and neighbors of the Pershings at West Point. He particularly loved my grandmother (said he wanted to adopt her) who was an imp. Later she was "a Flapper." Neither ate grits by the way...

Gettysburg is a great place to visit. My favorite monument is Longstreet's.

Welcome Black Jack. My in-laws live near Chambersburg just over the hill. We'll be heading over to G-Burg about the middle of next month. Going to give a first time tour of the field to our daughter's boyfriend. He's been wanting to see it real bad. My daughter and I like to go there whenever we can and take a lot of B&W pictures.

Back