• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Woodsrunner Ready for Fall

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toad1

32 Cal
Reaction score
I’m a greenhorn to the flintlock world so I have really enjoyed this forum and took the advice of many of you. For the first month of shooting I got a load worked up that shot pretty well at 25 yards and just worked on my loading, flint setting, and basic accuracy for the first month. Second month began to back out to 50 and work on accuracy and off hand shooting as this will be a hunting rifle for elk and deer. As I got more accurate and confident the third month I really honed in on a load that shot well. Last week I got all five rounds in the black circle of a 50 yard MLRA rifle target with a 6 o’clock hold. Tonight I backed up to 75 and to my suprise I got 3 out of 5 in the black, the 2 misses were right close. Tried 100 yards, not good enough to feel confident shooting at deer or elk at that distance quite yet. So gonna go with 70 grains 3F Goex, .018 wonder lubed patch, .530 ball. It shot pretty well with a .015 patch also but it did not like a .020 patch. The .020 shot very high and all over the place. It’s amazing how a little change here and there with powder and patch makes such a difference in how they shoot. So much fun!!

Back