• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Greetings from the Ohio Territory

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CommodoreHull

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

I found this forum on a panicked search for cleaning info on my musket (see smoothbore forum) and am happy to be here.

I'm a big history buff, hence the Brown Bess musket, but know little to nothing about caring for or the operation of these guns. Frankly, other than a couple .22s, I'm pretty much a general gun newbie.

I'm young (less than 25 y/o) and located in old Shawnee territory (yes, intentionally nebulous :) ). Hoping to learn a lot from the old hands here.

Welcome to Brown Bess East! :wink: You'll find as much knowledge, fussing and cussing about Besses hear as anywhere this side of the Tower of London! Nost folks like'em but just can't agree on which one and why!Lots of fun and some good ball lobbers amongst the merry men (and Cynthialee whose job it is to be sure we don't go nutzo). Jump and have fun. Ask any questions...you may get 29 answers but they'll be serious but different. :haha:

Young man you are on a great adventure. I hope you can get some of your friends interested in this sport or hobby whichever you prefer. You have a very versatile arm to start off with, whether its furry, fowl or a target. I also became interested in muzzleloaders because of an interest in early American history. Welcome!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I can tell this site is quickly going to become daily reading for me. Lots of knowledge here.

This is definitely going to be a fun adventure. It's not exactly hobby #1 for me right now, but the interest is there. I've got a good friend (about 40yrs older) who hunts with his Kentucky long rifle. Very neat gun; I could see getting one someday.

I've noticed that the hobby/sport is definitely larger than I thought. I had assumed that black powder shooters were history buffs almost exclusively until I came across a sign for a "Black Powder Shoot" while driving thought the country. You don't see that every day so I stopped by. They were wrapping up but I got to shoot an interesting gun, and when I explained that I had a Bess, none of them had any idea what that was. That's when I realized that this is bigger than just reenactors and such. Their particular brand of prone long range target shooting with custom VERY heavy guns wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but interesting nonetheless.

Back