• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
putzed with the carving on the walnut rifle. had to pick green beans in the am so didn't get to the rifle until afternoon. Having a MS attack which affects my eyes so put down the tools after half an hour. seemed like the prudent path. better this,🤣 than this😭.

Attachments

• 20240625_161327.jpg
    20240625_161327.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240906_125645.jpg
    20240906_125645.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240906_125651.jpg
    20240906_125651.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240906_125656.jpg
    20240906_125656.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Well yesterday I shot my TC .45 Hawken for the first time in years. Had a blast but I also had an issue. After several rounds I ran a swab down the barrel to help with seating patched roundballs. I think maybe too much liquid bore cleaner or I disturbed some stuff. I could not get it to fire after changing a couple of caps, I had just bought some new ones $$$ so I thought I had some not so good caps even though they all went off. I checked with my ramrod, and it was still loaded with powder and ball. I removed the nipple and got some powder in the touch hole, enough to get the rifle unloaded. So, what is a best practice for cleaning the bore after multiple shots?
I got a small spray bottle. Filled it with 90 percent rubbing alcohol. Spray some on a cleaning patch and swab the barrel. Gets crud out and evaporates quickly leaving no moisture so you can keep shooting.

Visited with my mother and borrowed her fabric cutter to make a pile of shooting patches.

View attachment 347314

I'm meeting up with a friend for some shooting so I lubed up 20 of them with bear oil, a bottle bottle of which I bought at the Gunmakers Fair at Kempton this summer.
I love the roller cutters. Its the fastest and easiest way I've found to cut patches.👍

I love the roller cutters. Its the fastest and easiest way I've found to cut patches.👍
Well I went to the range today and it’s looking like I need more practice with round ball .I got the girls shooting pretty good with shot but not ball
But I think I will do better when I get a .562 mould any way here’s todays results .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Shot Kibler Colonial .58 cal smoothbore. Goals were to 1) reach out to 100 yds, and 2) try tow wadding.

First confirmed sights at 50 yds. OK at that so moved to 100 yds. At 100 yds, out of six shots, only three hit the 17x17 paper, but all six impacted the approx. 26x26 target backstop (POI target bullseye). The tow was divided into one-half dry and one-half lubricated with moose milk. Dry tow wad over powder and "wet" tow wad over ball. My conclusion using tow is that a smoothbore shoots better with tow than with either paper or dryer lint as wadding.

Dad with .ca 10 yrs kid came into bench next door at 100 yd range and kid was obviously intrigued by my gun, so I asked dad if I could show kid the gun. Affirmative. So I show the gun to the kid, explained the parts, and then had him hold it while dad took a pic with his phone. Gave kid a round ball to take home. It's this kind of stuff that really makes range shooting worthwhile for me.

Doesn't just make my day, probably at least makes my whole week, if not even month. ;)

Last edited:
Had an interesting day working at my hunting club. A newer member came to me and said "Deal or no deal." I asked him what he meant and he simply repeated himself. I laughed and said "deal."
He handed me two of the CVA pistol kits pictured below, from the early 1970s. Told me to build them, keep the one I like, and give the other back to him.
I'll call that a good day.

Attachments

• 20240907_191455.jpg
    20240907_191455.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Had an interesting day working at my hunting club. A newer member came to me and said "Deal or no deal." I asked him what he meant and he simply repeated himself. I laughed and said "deal."
He handed me two of the CVA pistol kits pictured below, from the early 1970s. Told me to build them, keep the one I like, and give the other back to him.
I'll call that a good day.
Thats a good day indeed!

I picked up a gun, looked at it, considered shooting but it is still too dry and it was over 100

once the rains come back, and the land has cooled off I'll burn some powder, but for now....nope

Got me a nifty little double barrel .36 pocket pistol that weighs 1.35 pounds. Only got a few shots in the thing. Been eyeing it a lot the last few days. Haven't burned powder in months.

Replaced the broken Tumbler on my Springfield 1864. 1/2 cock broke off and although still functional on the full cock, I chose to replace the tumbler and eliminate a safety issue.

Last edited:
Wow. Nice spread of mushies there @Fisherking. Enjoy. A hint on Tomahawk's wonderful sight, should you want to - apply an application of cold blue or vinegar to the bright metal with a cotton wool bud. Watch it age and patina right before your eyes, blending into the aesthetics of your lovely rifle. Here's how one turned out on my Hawken.

Cheers, Pete

View attachment 346845View attachment 346846
D you have a link to get the tomahawk sight?

Latest posts

Back