• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

group size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plink said:
You might try working up your most accurate load using regular caps and dump the magnums. I could never get anything resembling a decent group in any gun that I ever used them with.

They put out a bit too much pop and start the ball moving before the powder has had a chance to come up to pressure. This gives inconsistent pressures and it shows in the groups.

I disagree, I get regular sub 2" and a LOT of sub 1" groups at 100 yards with magnum caps. I think they are better by far. Ron

I disagree, I get regular sub 2" and a LOT of sub 1" groups at 100 yards with magnum caps. I think they are better by far. Ron

I have used both and they shot pretty much the same. Makes me wonder if there is any actual difference? :confused:

A test could be done by somehow measuring the force of the cap at the muzzle in an unloaded gun.

marmotslayer said:
I have used both and they shot pretty much the same. Makes me wonder if there is any actual difference? :confused:

A test could be done by somehow measuring the force of the cap at the muzzle in an unloaded gun.

Neither one of these caps will move a rod with a jag and a patch. I find it hard to believe that it will move a bullet that is seated firmly on powder, before the powder goes off. The only testing I did was accuracy for the overall load. Like I said before I like them, but if all I could find was regular's I would not bat an eye at using either one. Ron

The only testing I did was accuracy for the overall load. Like I said before I like them, but if all I could find was regular's I would not bat an eye at using either one. Ron

Yeah, accuracy is the only proof needed, IMO. I try to buy the standard ones cause they cost a bit less. Several times I had to buy mags and the only difference was the price. :)

Neither one of these caps will move a rod with a jag and a patch. I find it hard to believe that it will move a bullet that is seated firmly on powder, before the powder goes off.

Don't think so either. Those kind of things seem to come up when suppository reloading possibilities are mixed in with ml realities. Just my opinion though. Probably someone here who actually tested it and found otherwise.

Thanks to all those that contributed to solving my group size problem. I'll tell you what I did.
I use a .535 round ball, .018 pillow tick patch' with bore butter, a .54 over the powder wad and went from #11 mag caps to the standard #11. I increased my powder charge from 70 to 85 gr. of ffg.
My groups at 50 yards are now more of what I was looking for for a deer hunting muzzleloader. My groups are now about 1 1/2" to 2" off the bench.
I sited so that the target sat on top of my bead at 50 yds and shot about 2" high, moved to 100 yards and held dead on and I was only about 2" low. Good enough kill zone for me.
Now I need to get my .45 Hawken in shape and I would imagine that I will need to ask more questions again.
Thanks again.

Back