• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

guided hunts.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3 stinky dogs

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was reading in one of the hunting links here that one guide was saying that the private property he hunts compleatley surounds national forest land and that the only acess is threw private property.It sounded like it was the ONLY way to get in.To me it sounds like you are paying to hunt on your own land.It makes no sencse to me.

It may be true that the property may be surrounded by private land, but ownership of the land may not prevent the right of access. The 2 are separate issues. People selling things are often not entirely honest about certain details involved. I would look up the site in the state hunting regs or ask the Wildlife and Fisheries/Dept of Natural Resources... for more information before accepting this opinion.

Caveat Emptor

CS

Lost a favorite hunting spot about 3 years ago..the access was only across private property and the owner barred the way..checked with the Nat.Forest Service and they agreed that it was so...when I asked what the good to me was Public Land that I couldn't access...got a blank stare...apparently use of the land hadn't occurred to anyone..Hank

Land-Locking has gone on for ever in the west. A private
land owner can buy up the land bordering public land. By
law he does not have to allow access over his private
land. He then, is the only one allowed on the public
land behind his property.
Millons of acres of public lands are denied to the tax
payers who own this property. This goes back to the days
of big land owners forcing small ones off the Open Range.
Still goes on today. Except it is movie stars, Ted Turner,
and anyone else with lots of bucks. Those forced off are
the ones who pay for the game the roads and the the law
that protects the land lords. In most western states not
all, the land owner controls access over creeks and rivers
running thru thier property. You can float it as long as
you do not walk on the bottom our land.
The good news is that the west has miles and miles of Public
lands open to all of us.

Redwing :redthumb:

Thank god for lots of lan bit to me it sounds like theft of public property.When I was 15 me and my brother took an old film projector from a the trash of the library.We were arested (in hand cuffs) infront of our parents and stuffed in a car and it led to 1 year of greef from my parents and had I not joined the navy I would have had to pay $100.00 to get it removed from my record.To me it seems like if I comited a crime dumpster diving and stealing the publics trash (a busted film projector) then stealing a few hundered acres of public land and bragging about it aught to have you shot.I am sorey I am suffering from texas syndrome.You cant hunt a squirl here with out paying $1500 a day or being a third genaration family frend.But that will soon change as I will be moving back twords happy hunting grounds.Alls the deer on thees ranches are out here are fancy cows any way fenced in and well fed,Hell alls you have to do is drive out in your fancy jeep with a deer stand attached and shoot your fancy cow and thats it.$1500 dollers well spent. :bull:you may as well go to the grocrie store and buy it or better yet just pay a rancher to shoot one of his beefies.At least you get what you pay for .I am ranting sorey.

Nothin to be sorry about..IMO. I also am ticked off at what these "guided" hunts are becoming. Nothing more than big dollar fish shoot in a barrel. This land locking...yup. One hell of a lot of the west is that way. Why? One answer and one answer only. "MONEY". That, and good ol boy politics. That tv channel..OLN...yeah, I like some of what they show...but thier hunts...don't make me laugh. One dude that is on quite a bit wears gloves 99% of the time. Another uses some POS synthetic stocked stainless barreled thing. But if you notice, never, ever, do they ever have a program where a average joe goes into public forests/land and gets a deer or whatever. Kinda says it all, don't it? ::

OK promise not to take my scalp? LOL
Well as a part time guide, and full time hunter and fisherman. ( yes that is my life I am full time dad and hunt and fish for a living. ) I am familiar with both sides.

As far as the view I share with you. Landlocking and or stopping people from accessing land locked areas SHOULD BE AGAINST THE LAW!!!

With this eminnant domain manure that has so much been in the news. There is Absolutly NO REASON that the U.S. Govt can not or does not regain access to these propertys. They simply need to claim a rightaway grade a road or path through and state it is a public access. ( end of issue. ) lol

As far as the opinnion I have of the TV shows, and even the magazine writers now days. Lets say they are below me or even you. People who promote and make money off product sponsorship I do not support. I do not buy their products. Unless they seriously are one of the few things on the market. Or they seriously are TOP of the LINE. such as Columbia clothing. (example)

Game ranches and the people who hunt them IMO are nothing more than legalized murder. ( OMG yeah I said it ) I am also against trohpy hunting for a trophy only. Too often it is now about the kill and not the experience.

A year ago I reformed my own way of business. I no longer charge people by the day or hunt alone and if you succeed good for you if not too bad. I changed it to represent the experience and the success. I now charge a base for the day, and a per bird ( in case of waterfowl ) or per point in case of deer. I also educate the people I work with and show them HOW to access the public lands I take them too. How to research how to do it on their own so they do NOT need to use me if they choose not too.

Well this has gotten long and possibly straying so I will end it. But all of that is MO.

Psst also if you want to access those property's and you know where they are, You can arrange for a fly over, then also arrange a helicopter charter to drop you and several others off for a weekend or week long camp and hunt. This CAN NOT BE STOPPED. As you do not cross the property lines.

As mentioned you can also float in in many states so longs as the stream or river is classifed as Navagable. Contact local state personel for exact laws and such in the area in question. Also as a possible simply ask the land owner if there is a way you can access the land. Many will actually let you if you promise to WALK or ride horse into it. and Notify them of when you enter and leave.

Enjoy and good luck.

Mr. NortherDuckHunter,
A small point regarding helicopters and Alaska, can't use them for hunting; other than emergency rescue.
But then we don't have many places that are "fenced off" to the general public.
Best Wishes

Thanks for the clarification Windwalker.
also they would not work with high altitude slopes either. ::

I read about a guy that would fly an ultra light in to those places but I wont fly ever.I am 31 the last time I picked up a gun I think I was 19 or 20.All my old hunting areas are suburbs now. one is eaven a strip mall with a starbucks.I wonder what it will be like when im 60 ?I have nothing agenst a guide takes money for his experties hell thats probubly been going on since humans have been hunting.And I dont beleave that any land owner should be forced to open there land.and some hunters are to blame for people closeing there land because they leave gates open and trash svry where and shoot things that shouldent be shot.Hell maby I should move up to Alaska.I hate the cold but it might be worth it.Alls I can say is that any time now hunting is going to be a strictly rich mans game.I think that Now I can relate just a tiney bit to what that cowboy felt like when cattle drives stopped happening,or how one of the plains Indeans might have felt when he found teligraph wire runing threw his living room.I mean it is wishey washey to say that and my survival dont depend on it but it still makes me a little sad.

Mr. Moderator, if this is the wrong place for my rant, my appology and please delete or move as appropriate.

Mr. Three Stinky Dogs,
Even in Alaska we have our problems. For the first time we posted our land "No Trespassing", last fall. While working in the back yard, heard what sounded like the wife on her 4-wheeler riding around the front yard. Stepped around the side of the house and there were two machines (three people) riding around looking for a Buffalo to shoot! Now they did NOT come up our driveway and ask permission to hunt and had to have crossed two of our neighbors property in order to have got where they were. Their excuse was that they had permission to hunt "so and so's" property which was several miles from where they are. Alaskan law is very explicit, you must have the land owner's permission BEFORE hunting. Plus I am tired of picking up the left over beverage cans (oddly enough, far more soda cans than beer cans), cigarette butts, candy wrappers, and worst of all... the individuals that are too scared to step off of the trail we maintain, to relieve their bowels; not to mention the used toilet tissue left behind in the middle of the trail. One would think they would at least have the courtesy to bury (under the weeds, etc) the paper if not the mess.
Oh well, guess that is just the way things are these days. ::
Best Wishes

Not just a western thing. I live near 260 land-locked acres of National Forest. It is only hunted by Illinois first-season shotgun hunters (3 days), out-of-town friends/family of the landowners. The rest of the seasons, it's all mine. I don't have permission to access, never asked, don't need it. The reason it's all to myself is because I put out the effort to paddle 1/4 mile up a narrow creek in a 10' inflatable canoe, fiberglass canoe is too big and displaces too much water for the small creek. One of the landowners saw my campfire one night at the edge of the forest and thought he had a trespasser. He rode to the creek on his four-wheeler the next day to investigate while I was paddling back downstream with a bow, climbing stand, and camping gear. He discovered that I was, indeed, not trespassing. He was friendly, but could hardly believe anyone would go through the effort of paddling upstream through the nearly un-navigable creek.
Another land-locked public area (kind of an oxymoron?) I tried to find access to. A public lane once went to it, now it's all grown up and blocked off by a pay-per-hunt landowner. I asked at the DNR office if N.F. could be land-locked. They gave me a vague answer along the lines of "well I guess you can't access it without permission from the landowner, but there maybe a private access open only to the forest service." (???) Okaaaay. I asked a woman at the county road service to look up records and see if there was still a public access to it. She took down my number and never got ahold of me. I'm not out to defy surrounding landowners, just looking to explore and hunt, but it looks like they win.

Come on up here to Maine and ill let you hunt on some of the 3.5 MILLION acres I take care of. ssssshhhh it is open to the public but we dont tell the flatlanders that.

Mr. Gametracker and Others,
Please don't misunderstand our situation. We are not curbing anyone's access to public land. Just trying to keep the uninvited out of our front yard. I mean that literally.
And should have clarified our opinion of cigarette trash. We have nothing against those who enjoy the devil weed. :peace: Used to enjoy a good pipe or cigar, myself. Would merely request cigarette butts be field stripped and the paper tucked under a rock, weeds, log etc. Easy to do and returns to a natural state without the eyesore, seems to me. We are seeing more and more of those empty plastic water bottles left behind, on public land. Not to mention all of the surveyors tape strung from bush and limb everytime someone wanders 25yds beyond the edge of a trail. Don't these people have any woodcraft skills? Read a compass and/or chart?
Sorry. Will climb down off of my soap box as am quite certain I am preaching to the choir and getting off topic. My appologies.
Best Wishes

We are seeing more and more of those empty plastic water bottles left behind, on public land. Not to mention all of the surveyors tape strung from bush and limb everytime someone wanders 25yds beyond the edge of a trail. Don't these people have any woodcraft skills? Read a compass and/or chart?
:agree:
When I'm coming out of the woods, I pick up as much trash and surveyor's tape as I can carry back to the truck with me

There should be public access to public lands. If it is surrounded by private lands, the Gov. should take an access road through imminent domain. That is what imminent domain was made for. Not to buld a wally-world!
Old Charlie

Mr. Roundball,
We do the same after Moose season is over and 99% of the "hunters" have gone back home; where ever that might be. Though at times it seems to be a never ending supply. :redface:
Best Wishes

Mr. Gametracker and Others,
Please don't misunderstand our situation. We are not curbing anyone's access to public land. Just trying to keep the uninvited out of our front yard. I mean that literally.

You're not in the wrong as far as I'm concerned. I don't blame landowners, unless they are blatently trying to block off a public access to public ground. The bourdon should be on the government, not the landowner, to make sure public land is accessible. But in a way, it's not a dogmatic issue for me because, as I've mentioned, I have a place to hunt that nobody will take the effort to get to. Public land blocked off by private ownership is different than , say, the government prohibiting access to it, which would be a concern.

Back