• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun show deals

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtmattison

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I went to a show today and although muzzleloading items were scarce I did see one fantastic deal.
There was a mint condition .50 caliber T/C Hawken there for $150.
I saw the same rifle at the show 2 months ago for $250. Of course I had no cash on me today.
Has anyone found any incredible deals like this at gun shows/yard sales/auctions and want to share their experience?

Huntin

Well, I think I did pretty good with my 2 rifles. First one I found at a pawn shop. CVA Hawkens, 31" barrel, I walked out with it for $130.
My killer deal was at a gun show. New in box(missing manual,instruction book and warped ramrod, never been put together kit) for $75. Spent about a week polishing the brass pieces, even replaced most the black screws with brass ones.

I did miss out on another deal though. Ruger Old Army cap and ball revolver(blue) that the gut was asking $225 for. I really should have seen how low he would have went.

this aint from a gun show but i found a lyman trade rifle mint condition 75 bucks, a really nice pedersloi 45 kentucky rifle 85, and around 10 renegades, and hawkins all from 65-75 at a local pawnshop over the past few years

bought an almost-put-together Colt kit at the Allentown Pa fairgrounds gun show about 20 years ago...got it for $20. It appeared to be missing just the grips and the key....from the schematics in the Dixie catalog, I found I was missing more parts...by the time I bought everything I was missing, I'd invested another $60....I believe the kit sold for about $69.95 in those days...not a bargain...but, it does shoot...Hank

Well, since you asked, here are a couple that come to mind.
Renegade .56 smoothie, 129 bucks from Auction Arms.
(I had the .56 reamed and bored to .58 with 1:48 twist)

Lyman Deerstalker,.50, unfired, 140 bucks, Auction Arms.
(Darned good shooter, r/b's to Maxiballs-nice name for a bullet what?)

Zouave with two boxes r/b's, 3 boxes Hornady and Buffalo Bullets, gun in nice shape 200 bucks from local gun shop.

THE BEST DEAL OF ALL TIME:::::::
(drum roll please!) My Jeager .58 and Bucks Co. .40 made by birddog6!!!!!!! :haha: :haha:
Both were bargans and it ain't got nuttin' ta do with price!
His rifles are worth twice what ever you pay. :applause:

Now we won't get into the whoopin's I got over the years, like the Deer Creek Kit that was a real nightmare...........

I bought a 1st Generation Parker-Hale 2band for $407 in great condition on e-bay.......they posted it as gun parts.......john........

Not a gun show deal but a garage sale. English express double 50 c (rook I think) in the maghoney case with all the goodies and English flint fowler damasque barrel also in maghoney case with all acc. Now don't call me a thief I didn't know about the cases until after the deal. Got both for $400. I still don't know what they are worth they sure are purty JUst looked both are London made 1(rook) the other a Smith. Anyone know either of these makers.
hrs to ye :redthumb:

and English flint fowler damasque barrel also in maghoney case with all acc.

Wow :shocking: sound like the shopping experience to die for :: :: Do we get pix?

My most remarkable buy was possibly the world's oldest surviving gun lock for $210. The Royal Armouries want it and I plan to give it to them before I peg out, (with the condition that my name hangs on it for ever more of course) ::

I am a gun buying addict looking for his next fix, the best buy is always the next one, the one I haven't taken home yet. My condition is worsening, I'm not telling the wife that I just put a $900 deposit on a damaged $6300 gun after seeing two small pictures on the net. I believe women folk need protecting from things like that :crackup:

I believe women folk need protecting from things like that :crackup:
LOL, I've snuck a gun or two into the house!
My best deal, I hope, is the Deerslayer I just bought. Say, where is that UPS guy? . . . Anyway, $186 with shipping, a few accesories, shot very little, and the best part Lyman peep sights. Those sights are about 50 bucks through Midsouth.
I'll be sneaking thaat one in too! :haha:

One benefit of having a houseful of TC Hawkens is that they all look the same...I can walk in carrying a percussion, flintlock, different calibers, standard barrels, round ball barrels, etc, doesn't matter...probably thinks I only have a couple
:: ::

You guys need to start building guns!!

My wife thinks I have had the "same gun half finished for the past year!"

I thought about doing a fowler in walnut, but I'm afraid she would notice the color difference. As long as I stick to maple I think I'm safe!!! ::

You guys need to start building guns!!

Not necessarily. It's one thing to fire an exact replica of a gun that might have helped defeat Napoleon at Waterloo, it is something else to fire a Bess that might actually have been there.

See the chap sitting down, far right? He was actually there, a drummer boy at Waterloo. Wow :shocking:

drummer.jpg

Levi_and_Sarah_photo.jpg

The one one in the middle is Wait E. Pearsall, my Great-Great-Grandpappy. He was at Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Cedar Creek and several other unpleasant places with the NY 9th Regiment Heavy Artillery, 2nd Auburn.

Unfortunately, he didn't sneak a cannon or mortor home in his portmanteau. :(

Patrick McManus wrote an excellent article about training wifes to deal with new guns. The basic premise is to weather the first few blasts until you get to the point where she calls them "all those guns". When that happens, you know she's lost count and you're safe.

Until then, he recommends alibis like:

Tearfully: "It's just like the one Grandpa gave me that I had to sell to buy our engagement ring."

Disguise it as a lamp.

Have a friend bring the new gun to your house, thanking you and saying he borrowed it (chose the friend wisely and don't try this just before hunting season - he may take a bit longer than planned).

Dissassemble the gun and tell her you bought a junk box at a church rummage sale for parts: "There might even be enough to build a whole gun in here." As I recall Pat added: "Does anyone know where the wishbone thinghy goes on an automatic shotgun?"

He's a pip!

Hi Robin I would like to send a picture but I'm as new to this computer as I am to the site and haven't figured out how to do it yet. I'm working on the wife showing me how
luck to you :redthumb:

Patrick McManus, my absolute favorite author!
His stories are sometimes difficult to read when tears of mirth are filling your eyes though....like the time his wife Bun hired the guy to crawl under the house and capture the black snake...

Oh, OK, Back to the main topic :: ::

Hi Robin I would like to send a picture but I'm as new to this computer as I am to the site and haven't figured out how to do it yet.

If you go to the section called "The Forum" you'll find it there.

This is Robert Morvinson, carrier and shoemaker of Stallingborough, Lincolnshire.
Taken in 1857 when he was 82.

By that reckoning he was born in 1775 when the United States was still a
British colony ::

morvinson.jpg

Not a gun show but at the dealer's. Markwell Arms .45 caliber percussion kit gun. Price, $45. It was my first muzzleloader and it got me started.

How about $450 for TWO Ruger Old Army revolvers along with caps, balls, wads, powder flask, powder measure and a spare cylinder? I saw that in the local want-ads and told my brother if he didn't, I would. He did and is a happy camper.

Back