• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun Stock Wood

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humpy blaster

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi again
I got through the failure to fire with my first flint rifle now I have the bug.You guys got me hooked now all I want to do is build flintlocks.With all the the experience out there someone can probibly tell me where to buy real good quality stock blanks. I am left hand so most of the guns I build are going to be left hand anyone care to steer me in the right direction.I plan to buy a gun in parts every month so I have something to do in my retirement if that ever happens.I hope to have a couple dozen set aside to build but I need a good stock source.I am not green in building but have not built all that many and know that there are stock or wood suppliers that arent real high profile on the internet.Sure would appreciate some place to start as I drive for a living and time at the computer is limited.
thx in advance Don

Dunlap Woodcrafts Vienna VA. Probably your best stock blanks. Freddy Harrison out of TN has some nice stuff also.

If you want to saw your own Many local lumber yards will have curly maple or walnut in 10 quarter and you can select the wood and saw yourself and get exactly what you want. If you don't have any lumber yards in your area Keim Lumber in charm Ohio will ship anywhere for a reasonable cost. I find I can get two rifle stocks out of a single piece if laid out right. This is about 1/3 the cost of buying precut blank from Log Cabin.But if you cann't cut one yourself Log Cabin ( they have a web site )has a good selection and are good people to deal with. :idunno:

Recently rec'd 3 red maple blanks from Dunlap after talking w/ Wayne who assured me that his red maple blanks were very hard, graded to the customer's advantage and w/ three blanks got a sizeable discount. He even talked me out of a S6 and told me to try his S4 which I did and he was right....curl and quality were excellent. Dunlap's my wood supplier from now on. Previously bought some blanks from Freddie Harrison and he has some "knockout" blanks if that's what you want, but they are expensive. Recently completed a LR using a blank from Tiger Hunt... it had bark inclusions on the outside that were "dug out" by them to see the depth of the inclusions and this blank should never have been sold and I should never have accepted it because there were unseen inclusions and the wood varied greatly in hardness....some spots were nearly impossible to chisel...had to be rasped off. Called Tiger hunt and they didn't seem concerned at all. The stock finally came out OK but never again will I contend w/ a blank such as this.....Fred

Over the years, no telling how many blanks I have bought from Wayne Dunlap, but most likely close to couple hundred... If I go to Friendship or CLA & he has some nice ones that suite me, I don't hesitate to buy 6-8-12 of them. Probably have at least 40 blanks here right now from him. Never have been disappointed with his wood. He is the Only stock dealer I will buy from sight unseen, as he know what I am damn picky on wood, so he only sends me his best. If he says the red maple he has is hard, it will be hard.

I have bought from allot of various sources on blanks, but Dunlaps is Top Dog in my book on Maple & Cherry.

Keith Lisle

Birddog6 said:
but Dunlaps is Top Dog in my book on Maple & Cherry.Keith Lisle

Sure, as long as Wayne is there. I just bought a blank from them, and the place was in turmoil. That Mexican guy who answers the phone told me Wayne took off for the slow season, then the slow season turned out to be not so slow. The guy was talking on two phones at once, Spanish in one phone, kinda English in the other. He said he couldn't wait for Wayne to get back and put things in order. :rotf: Still, he called back to make sure I was satisfied with his service.

All in all, they are a good company, just relaying a funny experience I had with them. :thumbsup: Bill

I like David Keck "Knob Mountain" My last build David supplied every thing but the set triggers and thimbles, profiled to his Berks County pattern, and inlet the B wt. barrel, and drilled the RR hole 3/16ths bang on. Try his bress castings. Great wax cast and bendable cold. No, I have never met him but I kike his wares.
Bob Reader

snowdragon said:
Birddog6 said:
but Dunlaps is Top Dog in my book on Maple & Cherry.Keith Lisle

Sure, as long as Wayne is there. I just bought a blank from them, and the place was in turmoil. That Mexican guy who answers the phone told me Wayne took off for the slow season, then the slow season turned out to be not so slow. The guy was talking on two phones at once, Spanish in one phone, kinda English in the other. He said he couldn't wait for Wayne to get back and put things in order. :rotf: Still, he called back to make sure I was satisfied with his service.

All in all, they are a good company, just relaying a funny experience I had with them. :thumbsup: Bill

That was Daniel. He is a great guy...... Yes, when Wayne is gone, Daniel is up to his behind in alligators. And he knows his wood too... He has worked hand in hand with Wayne for Years....

Keith Lisle

Yeah, He had trouble finding the grade I wanted, so he personally graded a blank he found and told me it was closer to the next higher grade. He did this because it had some wood missing near the toe, but assured me I would cut past it. I wasn't sure at first, but after a bunch of measuring and slabbing off the sides, I find I can even add some cast-off. He was right.

I just thought the deal was funny, cuz he told me all about his history with Wayne, and how he takes off every year, when all I wanted was to order a stock. :rotf:

I've bought from them before, sure can't complain. Their prices are good, I only wish I could drive up to their shop and pick out what I want, instead of paying those shipping costs. Man, that would be some cheap wood. Bill

brownie1934 said:
I like David Keck "Knob Mountain" My last build David supplied every thing but the set triggers and thimbles, profiled to his Berks County pattern, and inlet the B wt. barrel, and drilled the RR hole 3/16ths bang on. Try his bress castings. Great wax cast and bendable cold. No, I have never met him but I kike his wares.
Bob Reader

he's at the lexington ky show every year....very nice fellow, and he has done 3 stocks outta MY wood~very nice work, and VERY nice brass parts!
AAAAAA++++++ :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back