• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun zero and sight hold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got 2 guns one a peep sighted 54 cal lyman, and an open sighted 45.

The tip of the blade aims dead on at 100, I'm 2 inches high at 25, and 3 high at 50, and a bit under 4 inches high at 75.

That's the 54 cal peep sighted gun

I was thinking of chanong it to 6 inches high at 100 with a 130 yard zero.

Point the blade tip at the belly for a good shot from 50 to 100.

For 25 yard shot aim at the white edge for a good broadside.

I'm finding the 50 yard dead on isn't the best for me. Hard to know for sure where the right spot is.

I also paint the front sight too.

My problem is keeping track of which gun is sighted how. Not an issue with a couple of guns, but as the stack grows, so do the memory issues.

I've settled on a 75 yard zero for all my big game rifles. Sure the POI closer and further changes a little with velocities and trajectories, but for the most part a 75-yard zero is close enough to right I can hold dead on for good hits anywhere from 0 to 100 yards.

If I was intent on shooting further, of course I'd change that. But I rely more on stalking skills to get inside 100 yards than the sighting changes and very precise range determination required for longer shooting. I admire the heck out of guys who can do it, but it's just not for me and my shooting skills. Western shooters "back in the day" needed the ability to shoot further than their Eastern forebears, but I can always go home to canned spaghetti if I fail to connect on a hunt. :wink:

BrownBear said:
My problem is keeping track of which gun is sighted how. Not an issue with a couple of guns, but as the stack grows, so do the memory issues.

I have the same problem from time to time. That's why when I'm sighted in and find a load it likes I save the targets I used. I make notes on them about sight picture, patch, lube, powder charge, shot distance and velocity if I used a chrony. If I haven't used a gun for a while I pull the targets for it out to remind me what it likes. It saves a lot of time, powder and lead not having to start from scratch again.

I have it dead on at 100 yards. Which is 2 to 3 inches high at both 50 and 75. A tad under 2 high at 25.

I'm not liking the groups with the pre lubed cva yellow patches. I'm only shooting 50 with it this year. I usually limit myself at 75 maybe 100 if she is shooting real well and there is enough light to see everything well like 8am to 3pm.

Although lubed patches work fine if they are new, it's long been known that if the patches are old, the lube will weaken the fabric.

As CVA quit selling traditional rifles a number of years ago, I would say any pre-lubricated patches with their name on them would be pretty much worthless.

If one is available in your area, go to a fabric/cloth store and buy some pure cotton, tightly weaved material. (Wal Mart also sells cloth).
The blue/white or red/white striped cloth used for making pillows works well.

One yard of material will make about 1000 1 1/4 X 1 1/4 inch patches so don't get carried away and buy a lot of yards.

For lube you can either buy some store bought stuff like Bore Butter, or make you own with some vegetable oil, Murphy's Oil Soap and some water.

Back