• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

H&A underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twotoescharlie

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 36 cal that I have used for a long time.
just was wonderin' if there was anything out of the ordinary to remove the breech plug. never had it out but don't want to mess anything up by removing it the wrong way.

TTC

:grin: From what I am hearing is that Deer Ceek is no longer going to supply H&A Underhammer Kits. I guess mine will start being worth a lot more than Ipaid for it. :hatsoff:

I also have a 36 cal. underhammer and agree with Silver Fox do not remove it unless you have to. I removed mine to push out a broken ram rod.
If you wish I can give you instructions. The breech plug is a standard thread, clockwise to tighten but will require a complete break down of the rifle and some shop tools. So let me know.

To clear this up "they" ALL H+As uhs will be made again, just dont try to get one or the barrels for a few months. Im makeing a good guess at Spring April/May, the rest of the Rifleing mch has to be packed and shipped and set up, Sorry dont think they will get rare anytime soon or I would of bought up a few. :grin: :thumbsup: Fred

twotoescharlie: If it were mine, I wouldn't frinkle with it.
Like the old saying goes: If it ain't frinkled up, don't frinkle with it. :)

ain't gonna do it!! have been shootin' M/L for 45-50 year. have unbreached my share but never did a underhammer. was just curious if it was any different than a flint or bolster breach plug.
I might add, I built my first M/L (kentucky) in 1963. parts were not as available as they are now.
took nearly 2 years to complete as I had to feel my way along as I went. ( dixie gun works catalog was just a few pages and some parts had several months waiting list).

TTC

You might want to contact Bruce at Blue grouse black powder. He has a link to his forum. He knows how to remove the breach plug and it didn't sound to difficult if I recall. He will even take phone calls and speak with you.

Bruce from Blue Grouse Black Powder said if anyone has questions about the Underhammers he would be more than happy to take calls or email him.

His email is [email protected] and his phone number is:

toll free 877 301 0708

He said he will try and register so he can join in on the forum at a later date.

How much was the barrel? the plug like they said , its is just like a 5/8th bolt. your 36 is it a pinned barrel Everyonr told me not to pull my barrel Ive got a factory 48"er still is super tight fit Id hate to mess it up. :hatsoff:

Zonie said:
twotoescharlie: If it were mine, I wouldn't frinkle with it.
Like the old saying goes: If it ain't frinkled up, don't frinkle with it. :)

You said it very nicely, because if you start "frinkling" around with something that works, it probably would just get all "frinkled up". And that would really be a "frinklin" shame!

was hopeing some of the $95 barrels was just sitting around. thanks bunch anyway. Fred

Hey Fred, I think Bruce will convert most 15/16" barrels for the underhammer. I think he replaces the breach plug with one that fits and drills and taps a nipple hole. So if you got a 15/16" laying around on a beater gun you might give him a call.

GMWW :v

Back