• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hackenbusch hand gonne from the rifle shop

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millermpls

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone have one of these? Care to voice an opinion?

Care to share personal experience dealing with The Rifle Shop? Seems some have experienced long waits. Is it pay and pray, or a commitment kept? I don't so much mind a back order, but if they get the cash up front, there needs to be curbs.

Thinking of fitting a puffer style stock rather than a stick. May not be historic, but more fun nonetheless.

I have been waiting 6 months on a side plate for a wheellock that cost 14.00. They don't even answer the phone because caller ID. I only call twice a month and have spent over a grand with them. I keep getting the same answer, next week from Peru.

2x on the punctuality or a lack thereof.
Their deals are too good to be true. Still no reply on my inquiry.
Uniform sutlers are the same way sometimes.

Freek's pretty sure it was the Tannenberg Gonne. It's basically bored brass hexstock w/some turning and milling. But understand they don't have all their SKU's sitting on a shelf all the time -- I know they do "runs" of this item, and probably all of them, to keep them affordable. Waiting is just part of the deal.

Most seasoned participants in the related hobbies get, and are willing to accept, that. Others don't. Some even stamp their feet and jump up and down -- nothin' is an acceptable wait that's more than as long as it takes to buy a can of chaw and sixpack of Lone Star.

This is their brass "Tannenberg" next to a museum-quality bronze reproduction...

Hi,
I have both the brass "Tannenburg" hand gonne and the steel "hackenbusch" barrel from TRS. Both are well made and can certainly be modified to appear more like original pieces. The hackenbusch is supposed to copy barrels that were welded from iron staves much like a water barrel. Then iron hoops were heated and fitted over the barrel to strengthen it. The TRS gonne is turned on a lathe, hoops and barrel are one piece. It is difficult to make the bands look like real hoops, but using a graver, one can cut thin shallow seams between the bands and the barrel that when finished make the bands look like separate hoops. Neither TRS products have powder chambers that are narrower than the bore, a feature often found on original hand gonnes. I think they are fine products, but they need some work, and you have to contend with hit or miss TRS service. Both of my barrels came within 3 weeks of ordering. Also a "puffer-like" stock would be a terrible choice. Not only is it not historically correct but the hackenbusch barrel is very big and heavy. The resulting gun would be ungainly, unattractive, and handle badly. A tiller is a much better choice both for appearance and function.

dave

I missed the last two words,zundlock und brunzet.
Could you please translate
Wulf

I have their steel round .75 handgonne. The one they sent me looked quite a bit different than the one pictured on their website, but it was still a decent piece, so I was okay with it. It's not supposed to be a replica of anything original anyway, just a big boomstick.

I called first and made sure they had one in stock before ordering. They did and said it would ship by the end of the week. They didn't get to it and I had to call again, but then they shipped it. I had it three weeks after placing the order. Not bad, considering who we're talking about. If they didn't have it in stock I wouldn't have bothered because it's not something worth waiting a long time for when you can get them elsewhere.

Marine Corporal said:
Alden said:
Dupe post.

What in god's name are you talking about?

Duplicate. He accidentally posted the same thing twice.

"All skill is for nowt when an angel pees in the touchole of your musket."

Thanks, Jumpshot. Is there an alternate source you can recommend?

Thanks to all for your comments.

You can talk to Freek Forge here. The hackbutt is generally a huge piece of stock. Freek can cut a .75 bore but the steel stock is exponentially expensive and the stock and hook, etc., are what make the arm what it is.

Freek can certainly make a nice, more common, hand gonne you'd find easier to manage...

So do you pay them when you place your order, or when they're ready to ship? I can see how both sides would have risks with long delays.

Many years ago on holiday in Sol, Austria I was offered the chance to shoot at the local small-bore range.
Carved in the lintel above the front entrance was a very similar text which was translated by the Range Warden as...

"Skill, ingenuity and daring are of no avail when fate piddles in the touch-hole of your musket"

How true!

Millermpls said:
Thanks, Jumpshot. Is there an alternate source you can recommend?

Sorry for not replying sooner, I've been gone for a while. Freekforge is my 'go to' man for handgonne barrels. All of mine were made by him except for the one I bought from TRS. He makes lots of neat designs in various calibers. Give him a try.

hand gonnes is a hand cannon. I goggled it to figure out what they were talking about. Now what appears like a touch hole in the side makes sense.

Back