• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

haft length

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoochiepapa

75 Cal.
Reaction score
P3171487.jpg

The total length is 19.25", and where I have the head now is 15.25". Is there a correct length? Or is it just a matter of taste? THis looks ok, but would I be at a disadvantage as far as leverage goes, and then it would be very long in my belt.

I would sand or scrape it to get it to fit with about a 1" sticking out the top going to look better and handle better but if you want you can let like it is and trim the handle

For a hawk I'm going to throw I make a fist, measure along the outside of my forearm from knuckle to point of elbow and make that the total length of the haft. That makes a length which I find comfortable for throwing at reasonable distances and also for doing any light chopping I might use the hawk for. I think it would be about right for sticking a big spike in somebody's head, too.

Spence :haha:

Sence is right..shorter for throwing. It will look better and work better for camp chores with a longer handle. Thats not really a belt ax to me so I would sand it down and keep a longer handle.

George said:
For a hawk I'm going to throw I make a fist, measure along the outside of my forearm from knuckle to point of elbow and make that the total length of the haft. That makes a length which I find comfortable for throwing at reasonable distances and also for doing any light chopping I might use the hawk for. I think it would be about right for sticking a big spike in somebody's head, too.

Spence :haha:

:thumbsup:

Agreed. I like right atound fifteen inches for a hawk im going to hunt with more than cut wood with. If it is for a "second shot"where u have it is about perfect.

Also on a side note i have found friction with pine pitch is not quite sturdy enough for chores. I always have the pitch crack and let go. But friction alone is great for throwing so the handle can survive on a bad throw. Ymmv

For throwing you want the total length to be as long as your forearm elbow to fist but other than that it is a matter of personal preference.

Back